The Metropolitan Police has declared the killing of Tory MP Sir David Ames a terrorist incident.
It is the latest of a number of terror attacks that have spread panic on the streets of Britain in recent years.
Sir David, 69, was stabbed Friday afternoon while attending a constituency surgery at the Belfair Methodist Church in Leigh-on-Sea, near Southend, and died on the spot.
Here are some of the major domestic terror incidents in recent years:
– 22 May 2013: fusilier Lee Rigby Died as a result of multiple cuts and stab wounds after attack in Woolwich, South-East London By Extremists Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebovale. Adebolajo was given a life sentence, and Adebowale was jailed for at least 45 years.
– 16 June 2016: labor parliamentarian Joe Cox He was stabbed 15 times and shot three times outside his constituency surgery in Birstall, near Leeds, a week before the EU referendum. neo-nazi Thomas Meier The one who chanted “Britain first” in the attack was sentenced to life imprisonment for murder.
– 22 March 2017: Kent-born Khalid Massoud, 52, was shot dead by police after he drove a rental car for pedestrians on Westminster Bridge and fatally stabbed PC Keith Palmer, 48, at the Palace of Westminster’s Forecourt. was killed. American tourist Kurt Cochran, Romanian tourist Andrea Cristia and Britain’s Ayesha Fraud and Leslie Rhodes were killed.
– 22 May 2017: Around 10.30 a.m., 22-year-old British-born Salman Abedi walked into the foyer of the Manchester Arena as crowds erupted from an Ariana Grande concert and an instrument filled with shrapnel exploded, killing 22 people, including children.
– June 3, 2017: A white van hit pedestrians and began stabbing people in nearby Borough Market before three people disembarked on London Bridge, killing eight and injuring 48. Police shot and killed Khurram Butt, Rashid Redouane and Yusuf Zagba a few minutes later.
– June 19 2017: A group of Muslim worshipers were hit after a van rammed into them near the Finsbury Park mosque in north London, after attending evening prayers during the holy month of Ramadan. One person died. Darren Osborne was sentenced to at least 43 years in prison after being found guilty of murder and attempt to murder.
– September 15 2017: Ahmed Hassan’s homemade bomb partially exploded on a London Underground crowded train at Parsons Green, injuring more than 50 people. He was sentenced to life imprisonment with a prison sentence of at least 34 years.
– 29 November 2019: Jack Merritt, 25, and Saskia Jones, 23, were stabbed to death Usman Khan 28, in a prisoner rehabilitation program. A man and two women were also injured before Khan was released from prison on a license in December 2018, who was shot dead by armed officers at London Bridge.
– 2 February 2020: Sudesh Amman was shot dead by police after stabbing two men wearing fake suicide vests on a busy street in the Streatham area of south London.
– 20 June 2020: Khairi Sadallah, 27, stabbed friends James Furlong, 36, Dr David Wells, 49, and Joseph Ritchie-Bennett, 39, with a knife in a park in Reading Town Centre. He later confessed to the murders and was sentenced to life imprisonment.
– 15 October 2021: Tory MP Sir David Ames was fatally stabbed while attending a constituency surgery outside Belfair Methodist Church in Leigh-on-Sea, near Southend. The Metropolitan Police declared it a terroristic incident and said they were investigating the attacker’s “possible motivation linked to Islamic extremism”.