“We are thankful to God that three more hostages were released last night. Those who were released are safe and seem to be in good spirits. As with the previous release, we are providing the names, circumstances of those released. releases, or any other details,” the statement said.
Members of a group of 16 Americans and one Canadian were working as missionaries when they were abducted on October 16 by the Haitian gang 400 Mavojo while traveling by car to the northeast of the capital Port-au-Prince.
The hostages included an infant, a 3-year-old and a 6-year-old, as well as two young teenagers. All are from Amish, Mennonite and other conservative Anabaptist communities in six US states and Ontario.
There is no word yet on whether the ransom was paid or not. The hostages were seeking $1 million per hostage, Haitian Justice and Interior Minister Liszt Quittel previously told Granthshala.
Kidnappings for ransom in Haiti are widespread and often indiscriminate, targeting rich and poor, young and old.
Political instability has been accompanied by rising crime in the country, with kidnappings in the months following the assassination of President Jovenel Moise in July, according to local human rights organization CARDH.
The 400 Mawjo Group is particularly notorious for group kidnappings.
Credit : www.cnn.com