Adm. Art McDonald’s letter ‘will be taken into account’ on deciding his fate: Trudeau

- Advertisement -


Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says that Adam. Art McDonald’s decision to urge senior military personnel to claim exemption from sexual misconduct charges against him and to be reinstated “immediately” at the top military post will be a factor in whether he can return, said Prime Minister Justin. Trudeau says.

- Advertisement -

The letter has been sharply criticized for both claiming and challenging the basic principle of civilian control of the military. McDonald’s claimed that the lack of charges against him meant he had been acquitted and that the investigation considered the allegation “baseless.”

Yet Trudeau has declined to say why the government is allowing McDonald to remain in the role as chief of defense staff from which he is currently suspended, or when he would allow McDonald to return to duties. Will decide on giving. Of role.

Story continues below ad
advertisement

Asked about the letter by Granthshala News on Thursday, Trudeau said McDonald’s remarks “are not aligned” with what he described as the government’s approach to focusing on victims and victims.

- Advertisement -

“This will be taken into account as we make the final decision on the post of chief of defense staff,” he said, adding that it is important that “we make the right decisions in the right way.”

McDonald holds the position of Chief of Defense Staff at the will of the government, which means he can be removed at any time for any reason.

General Wayne Eyre has been in his place since February, when McDonald’s voluntarily stepped down while the charges against him were under investigation. In his letter to senior military officials last Friday, Ayer called McDonald’s letter “shocking.”

Story continues below ad

The Canadian Forces Provost Marshal also issued a statement on Monday, saying the investigation found a discrepancy between what McDonald’s claimed was not meeting the allegation level.

“As stated in August 2021, the CFNIS investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct against Admiral McDonald resulted in no charges based on insufficient evidence,” the statement reads.

“This does not mean that the allegation was unfounded, which is defined by Statistics Canada as ‘after a police investigation has concluded that there was no breach of law or attempt to commit’.”

‘Multiple’ witnesses confirm sexual misconduct charge against McDonald’s, accuser says

That’s because the apparent threshold to support the accusation is high, said Megan McKenzie, an expert on military culture who holds the Simons Chair in International Law and Human Security at Simon Fraser University.

“I think maybe in his mind, he’s acquitted. I think it’s just a testament to how deep we have a cultural problem where you have senior military leaders who are so out of touch,” she said.

“The letter was out of touch, the vowel was out of touch.”

Granthshala News reported Sunday that the woman who leveled the allegations against McDonald says there were “multiple” eyewitnesses who corroborated her allegation to military police as part of their investigation. This includes at least one senior Navy officer that Granthshala News was able to verify.

Story continues below ad

more to come.

- Advertisement -
Mail Us For  DMCA / Credit  Notice

Recent Articles

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox

Related Stories