The stage will forever be known as the Alex Trebek Stage.
“In danger!” is back for its 38th season with a host that viewers thought they got rid of – and a tearful tribute to their late beloved host.
Former executive producer and host Mike Richards’ episode aired Monday in a pre-recorded segment. He hosted the show just before his exit, when some controversial comments made by him in the past surfaced.
But instead of being led with scandal, the game show opened the episode with a sweet tribute to longtime host Alex Trebek of the late.
“Earlier today, along with Alex’s wife Jean, son Matt and daughters Emily and Nikki, we dedicated the stage in his honor,” said announcer Johnny Gilbert. “It will now forever be known as the Alex Trebek Stage.”
New ‘Danger!’ Season starts with host Mike Richards, audience reaction
Trebek died of pancreatic cancer in November at the age of 80.
Following the announcement, the game began with Richards, 46, leading the show.
“We are in the presence of a champion in the midst of a historic era,” Richards said. “Matt Amodio is the third biggest ‘Jeopardy’ money winner in regular season games… Alex Trebek off stage for the first time, let’s play Jeopardy!”
‘to risk!’ And ‘Wheel of Fortune’ executive producer Mike Richards was sacked
New Contestants Committee government on 7th September tweeted that he “has the dubious distinction of being 1 of 11 contestants in history to have tapped with Mike Richards as the ‘permanent’ host.” He also alleged that the game show set a tradition amid the Richards controversy.
“‘Khatron’ contestants usually get two photos – one with the host + one headshot. We all took a photo with Mike, but only the headshot was sent! I’ll have to say more later,” he wrote Wrote.
In conversation with defending champion Matt Amodio Washington Post and revealed that he is not bothered by the host’s loss.
“Frankly, the last thing I’m thinking of when I’m in the middle of a game is who’s hosting,” he said. “I’ve told people, ‘Hey man, you’ve moved on to your fourth host, this must be difficult.’ And I’d say, ‘Well, you’re right, but I didn’t even realize it was necessary.’ Because I’m trying to get these vague facts out of my mind, and it takes all the mental energy I can afford at the moment.”
Episodes that Richards taped earlier this year while he was still in the spotlight will air as planned. Mayim Bialik will replace him for the time being. He was removed as producer and host from the show in August after his sexist comments towards women surfaced again.