A Pakistani immigrant who was a well-known businessman in Atlantic City for more than 40 years died last Thursday after a group of teens – including at least two weapons armed with knives – ransacked one of his stores.

Mahmud Ansari died and died shortly after robbing his store at around 7:30 pm on 1 April. While the autopsy report is pending, Ansari’s son said that his father died of a heart-stopping heart attack on Granthshala News, which stemmed from the robbery strain.

Mahmud Ansari immigrated to America more than 40 years ago from Pakistan.

Mahmud Ansari immigrated to America more than 40 years ago from Pakistan.
(Asif Ansari)

The robbery was revealed when a group of about six to eight teenagers came into the shop, stole some items and left, Ansari’s son Asif told Granthshala News. The group returned a short time later, and at least two – a 12-year-old and a 14-year-old were armed with a knife.

Asif estimated that the robbery lasted for 15 to 20 minutes as his family waited for the police to arrive.

Asif said, “They are not there, they are not working for us. You know, we pay top money, taxes, but (the police) are not protecting us.”

DC Poly charged teenage boys as the result of caring for leftover toothed children

Responding officers arrested both teenagers. Ansari was taken to Atlantacare Regional Medical Center, City Campus, where he was pronounced dead.

The 12-year-old has been charged with robbery, possessing weapons, possessing illegal weapons, possessing weapons for unlawful purpose, simple assault, shoplifting, terrorist threats, and two counts of conspiracy. The Press of Atlantic City reported.

The 14-year-old has been charged with robbery, simple assault, shoplifting and conspiracy, but was left in court pending custody of a parent, according to the outlet.

The City Souvenir is one of several businesses owned by Mahmood Ansari's family in Atlantic City.

The City Souvenir is one of several businesses owned by Mahmood Ansari’s family in Atlantic City.
(Google Map)

Asif said that robbery and theft – complicated by the COVID-19 epidemic and the Black Lives Matters protests – have been increasing in recent years and scaring tourists.

Asif told Granthshala News, “They are getting out of hand and we don’t have a better security system for anyone.” “We are trying to ask for help from the city, but they have not helped us for the last two years. We are trying.”

Ansari said the family plans to hold a meeting with prosecutors on Friday to address their concerns about the lack of security.

Granthshala News reached out to James Sarcos, the interim officer in charge of the city police, but did not hear back before publication. In a Friday statement obtained by Nj.com, Sarcos said the department is “aware of concerns and complaints” regarding the teenage girls, and plans to work with the business.


“He’It’s been 40 years there. Every day he worked hard, “Asif said of his father, who was the owner of several businesses in Atlantic City.” We were working as a family there. We try and make things better. ”

Ansari said he plans to attend rallies to protest his lack of security if his family does not need his help.

Asif said, “They must do something, because these teens, you can’t touch them. And it’s really sad because they can touch you. It’s ridiculous.” “It comes down to security. If there is security, we can do business without thinking.”

His father died just a week after two black girls – one 13, the other 15 – were accused of the fatal act of a 66-year-old Uber driver, also a Pakistani immigrant. Several reports this week stated that prosecutors were expected to reach a plea agreement that would ensure that the teenagers would not be tried as adults and would not be given jail time at the age of 21.

Regarding such incidents, Asif said, “It is going to repeat.” “Last year was worse, but it’s going to be worse this year.”

The family is planning to cremate Ansari tomorrow at 1 pm