Andrew Neal said he resigned this week as GB News’ chairman and lead presenter because he did not want to be part of “British Fox News”.
BBC’s. in an appearance on question time, Mr Neil declined to explicitly criticize the new channel, which he officially quit on Monday, but said its direction was not the same as had been envisioned before its launch.
“I’ve always been clear that this won’t be a British Fox News and I think you can do something different without going anywhere on Fox,” Mr Neal said.
“Fox deals in untruth, it deals in conspiracy theories and it deals in fake news.
“This is not my kind of journalism and I would never have set out to do it.”
Mr Neil added: “I’ll let you draw your own conclusions as to why I’m here tonight and not with GB News.”
The veteran journalist also admitted that the channel’s launch cannot be regarded as a “shocking success” after it suffered from technical difficulties.
Asked if he left GB News because it had become too right-wing, he said: “People should make up their mind on that.”
His comments came after the channel hired former UKIP leader Nigel Farage to host a weekly show, in a move that was seen as a pivot towards more populist, right-wing content.
The resignation of Mr Neil, who was the public face of GB News, is widely seen as a major setback just three months after the launch of the channel.
The 72-year-old presenter was on the air for less than two weeks before announcing that he would be taking a break from his show.
In a statement earlier this week, Mr Neil suggested he left the channel because he wanted to “cut down” on his work commitments.
“I am sorry to go, but I have concluded that it is time to reduce our commitments on several fronts,” he said.
“Over the summer I had time to reflect on my broad portfolio of interests and decided it was time to take a cut.
“I want GB News to continue to deliver on its founding promise and mission of reaching the audiences currently underprivileged by our current news broadcasters.”
Credit: www.independent.co.uk /