At least 3 dead after knife attack on Arkansas police officer, authorities say

- Advertisement -

Fort Smith, Ark. – Three people died and a police officer is recovering from surgery after a knife attack in northwest Arkansas officials said Sunday.

- Advertisement -

The incident took place on Sunday in Fort Smith, about 160 miles northwest of Little Rock. In an afternoon news conference, Fort Smith Police Chief Danny Baker said officers had been dispatched at 6:20 a.m. to report fighting unrest with weapons.

Upon arrival, the unidentified officer found a man hitting another man, identified as a 15-year-old boy, with a brick in the face and head.


When the officer asked to stop, 40-year-old Christopher Conner appeared to comply, but produced a sharp-edged weapon and slit the officer in the throat and neck when the officer attempted to restrain Connor, Baker said. said.

The officer then fired two shots, killing Conner.

- Advertisement -

The boy, identified as Conner’s son, was pronounced dead at the hospital. He had suffered multiple stab wounds and blunt force trauma.

Inside the home, police saw evidence of a violent attack and found the body of Julia Marie Moore, who had multiple stab wounds. A 5-year-old girl found inside the house was also kept with the relatives.

“I have no doubt that our officer’s swift action saved this little child’s life,” Baker said.

Fort Smith Police Department spokesman Eric Mitchell said the officer had surgery on Sunday morning.

The injured officer will be placed on administrative leave. A second officer, who was not involved in the shooting, will also be placed on leave “pending post-serious incident treatment”.

“Fort Smith is a wonderful community and when unimaginable tragedies like this happen, they leave us horrified, angry, disappointed and, for some, homeless,” Baker said. “It hurts us as much as it hurts each of you when an outcome like this is inevitable.

“I am grateful to the officers who are willing to risk their lives when there is a danger to our community. I am grateful to the medical team that took care of our officer and I am grateful to such a community The one who always stays with me when tragedy strikes.”

The department asked the Arkansas State Police to investigate. Arkansas State Police spokesman Bill Sadler said he could not immediately provide any additional information.

Both Mitchell and Sadler said officials could provide more details later Sunday afternoon.

Contribution: The Associated Press

- Advertisement -
Mail Us For  DMCA / Credit  Notice

Recent Articles

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox

Related Stories