Oxford Township, Mich. A 15-year-old student opened fire at his Michigan high school on Tuesday, killing three students and injuring six others, including a teacher, officials said.

- Advertisement -

Oakland County Undersheriff Mike McCabe said at a news conference that he did not know what the attacker’s motive was for the attack at Oxford High School in Oxford Township, which is about 30 miles (48 kilometers) north of Detroit, a gathering of about 22,000 people. is community.

McCabe said officers responded to a flood of 911 calls about an active shooter at the school around 12:55 p.m. Officers arrested the suspect from the school and recovered a semi-automatic handgun and several clips.

advertisement

“The deputy confronted him, he had weapons, he took him into custody,” McCabe said, adding that the suspect was not hurt when he was taken into custody and declined to say that he was How did you get a gun in school?

Officials did not immediately release the names of the suspects or victims. About 1,700 students study in the school.

- Advertisement -

Oxford Community School superintendent Tim Throne said he did not yet know the names of the victims or contact with their families.

“I am shocked. It is devastating,” the shaken superintendent told reporters.

The school was closed after the attack, with some children taking shelter in closed classrooms while authorities searched the premises. He was later taken to a nearby Meijer grocery store to be picked up by his parents.

Isabel Flores told WJBK-TV that she and other students heard gunshots and saw blood oozing from another student’s face.

They then fled the area behind the school, said Flores, a 15-year-old ninth grade student.

McCabe said investigators would examine social media posts for any evidence of possible motive.

Robin Redding said her son, Tresna Bryant, is in 12th grade at school but stayed home on Tuesday. He said that he had heard threats to shoot at the school.

“It can’t just be random,” she said.

Redding did not provide details about what her son had heard, but he expressed concern about the safety of the school in general.

“The kids are just like they’re mad at each other in this school,” she said.

Bryant said that he texted several younger cousins ​​in the morning and they said they didn’t want to go to school, and felt bad. He asked his mother if he could do his assignment online.

Bryant said he had heard vague threats “for a long time” about plans to shoot at the school.

“You shouldn’t play about it,” he said of the threats. “this is real life.”

School administrators posted two letters to parents on the school’s website this month, saying they were responding to rumors of threats against the school following a bizarre vandalism incident.

According to a November 4 letter written by Principal Steve Wolf, someone threw a furry head off the school’s roof into the courtyard, painted several windows on the roof with red acrylic paint and used the same paint on the concrete near the school building. used.

Without specifically referencing that incident, a second post on 12 November assured that “there is no danger to our building nor to our students.”

“We are aware of the many rumors that have been circulating throughout our building this week. We understand this has caused some concern for students and parents,” the administrators wrote. Have reviewed every concern raised and checked all information provided. Some of the rumors developed from an incident from last week, while others have no connection. The social media posts and student interpretation of false information have added to the overall concern.”

Michigan’s governor, Gretchen Whitmer, was one of several elected officials who offered condolences to the victims.

“Gun violence is a public health crisis that claims lives every day. We have the tools to reduce gun violence in Michigan. It’s time for us to come together and help our kids feel safe in school.” There is time,” Whitmer said in a statement.