Waukesha, Wis. — An 8-year-old boy became the sixth person to die Tuesday as a result of a man driving his SUV at a suburban Milwaukee Christmas parade with a criminal complaint alleging that he was going side-by-side with suspects in the case. Was. Intended to kill marchers and spectators.

- Advertisement -

Darrell Brooks Jr., 39, was charged with five counts of first-degree intentional manslaughter, a charge that carries a mandatory life sentence if convicted. He shook back and forth in his seat and cried throughout his court hearing on Tuesday, as the charges against him detailed. His bail was set at US$5 million, and a preliminary hearing was set for January 14.

“The nature of this crime is shocking,” said Waukesha Court Commissioner Kevin Costello.


Waukesha County District Attorney Susan Opper said additional charges related to the sixth death and more than 60 injuries would come later this week or next week. The criminal complaint states that 62 people were injured out of 48 people announced earlier by the police.

Brooks is accused of running away from police and entering the Waukesha Christmas Parade on Sunday night, even as an officer refused to hit the hood of his SUV. Another officer fired three shots at the vehicle, but it did not stop.

- Advertisement -

Within hours, five people, aged between 52 and 81, were declared brought dead. 8-year-old Jackson Sparks was the first to be injured. He was walking the parade with his 12-year-old brother, Tucker, who was injured in the accident and has been discharged from the hospital, according to his GoFundMe page.

“This afternoon, our dear Jackson tragically succumbed to his injuries and has passed away,” wrote Page’s organizer Alyssa Albro.

Livestream video and bystander video of the city captured the chaotic scene when an SUV rammed onto the parade route and then into the crowd. Many of the injured are in critical condition.

According to the criminal complaint, witnesses told police that the vehicle was “deliberately moving from side to side,” making no attempt to slow down or stop as it hit several people and sent bodies and objects flying.

According to the criminal complaint, Brooks ignored several attempts to stop him.

According to the complaint, a detective — wearing a police insignia and a neon orange safety vest — stepped in front of Brooks’ vehicle and pushed on the hood while shouting “stop,” but Brooks overtook him.

A uniformed police officer, who had seen Brooks’ SUV headed towards the parade route, also tried to attract his attention, shouting “Stop, stop the vehicle” several times, but was ignored, according to the complaint. The complaint said the officer “saw the driver looking straight ahead, and it appeared that there was no emotion on his face.”

The complaint states that Brooks braked at one point, but instead of turning away from the parade route, he turned to the crowd and appeared to accelerate.

Another police officer hit the vehicle thrice as it entered the parade route. The Waukesha police chief said on Monday that Brooks was not shot.

The complaint states that a witness who spoke with the police said that the SUV “kept moving in a zig zag motion. It was as if the SUV was trying to avoid vehicles, not people. Any attempt by the vehicle to stop” Wasn’t done, much less slow down.”

Waukesha Police Chief Dan Thompson said Brooks was leaving the scene of a domestic dispute that happened minutes earlier as he walked down the parade route.

In early November, he was released on $1,000 bail in Milwaukee County for a case that accused him of intentionally hitting a woman with his car. Prosecutors said they are examining his bail recommendation in that case, calling it unreasonably low.

Brooks has been charged with the crime more than a dozen times since 1999, mostly in Wisconsin but also in Georgia and Nevada, and had two outstanding cases against him at the time of the parade disaster. These include resisting or obstructing an officer for the November 2 incident, reckless endangerment, disorderly conduct, jumping on bail and battery.

Thompson said there was no evidence that Sunday’s bloodshed was a terrorist attack or that Brooks knew anyone at the parade. Brooks acted alone, the chief said.

NBC News published doorbell camera footage that appeared to capture Brooks’ arrest. It showed Brooks shivering in only a T-shirt, knocking on a homeowner’s door and asking for help calling along for the ride. Moments later, police surrounded the house and shouted, “Hands up!” Brooks, standing on the porch, held out his hands and said, “Whoa, whoa!”

Hundreds of people gathered at a downtown park in Waukesha, Wisconsin on Monday night to light candles in honor of the lost and injured. A couple of clergy read the names of those who died solemnly. Volunteers distributed sandwiches, hot chocolate and candles in a vigil, which was attended by interfaith leaders and elected officials.

“We are parents. We are neighbors. We are hurting. We are angry. We are sad. We are confused. We are grateful. We are all in this together. We are Waukesha Strong,” says Amanda Medina Roddy he said. Waukesha School District.

Mayor Sean Reilly described the parade as a “Norman Rockwell-type” event that “became a nightmare.”


Bauer reported from Madison, Wisconsin. Associated Press writer Doug Glass contributed from Minneapolis.