Chinese government rejects WHO plan for second phase of Covid-19 origins study


Zeng Yixin, deputy head of the National Health Commission, told a news conference in Beijing that he was “surprised” to see the laboratory leak listed as a research objective under the second phase of the investigation.

“In some aspects, WHO’s plan for the next phase of the investigation of coronavirus origins does not respect common sense, and it is against science. It is impossible for us to accept such a plan,” he said.

Zeng also appeared to respond to the US State Department’s claims that several workers at the Wuhan Institute of Virology fell ill shortly before the first documented cases of COVID-19, stating, “No worker or researcher at WIV was infected with the coronavirus.” Didn’t get infected.”

The WHO released a preliminary report from its investigation into the origins of COVID-19 in March, which determined that the virus probably originated in an animal before spreading to humans around December 2019.
But a growing number of Western countries, including G7 leaders, have questioned the completeness of the original report.

United States President Joe Biden has ordered US intelligence agencies to take a new look at how the COVID-19 pandemic began, noting that Western observers have not yet been given access to key laboratories to determine “Was it an experiment that went awry.”

Little new evidence has emerged to support the theory that the virus was the result of an accidental leak from the Wuhan Institute of Virology, where coronavirus research was believed to have been conducted on bats, and several scientists familiar with the research say that Such leakage is unlikely.

However, in March, a member of the WHO team that helped oversee the original investigation said that the Wuhan lab leak theory “did not receive the same depth of attention and work” as the animal hypothesis.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus calls for more full cooperation with China A new covid-19 origin test on 15 July, saying that the first was hampered by a lack of raw data in the early days of the pandemic.

“We ask China to be transparent and open and cooperate,” he said at a news conference. “We are indebted to the millions who suffered for this and the millions who died to know what happened.”

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said on July 16 that the government had fully cooperated with the preliminary investigation and denied allegations that the researchers had been denied access. any location or data.

“China’s position on the issue of global origin-tracing is consistent and clear. (d) The original study is a scientific issue. All parties should respect the opinions and scientific findings of scientists rather than politicizing the issue,” he said. .

.


Credit : www.cnn.com

Mail Us For  DMCA / Credit  Notice

Recent Articles

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox

Related Stories