COVID-19: N.B. reports 116 new cases, hospitals to restrict visitors

- Advertisement -


New Brunswick is reporting 116 new COVID-19 cases on Thursday – more than 30 percent of which involve people who were fully vaccinated.

- Advertisement -

Public Health says that of the new cases, 71 (61.2 percent) were not vaccinated, 10 (8.6 percent) were partially vaccinated and 35 (30.2 percent) were fully vaccinated.

“While we continue to see cases in the vaccinated population, we know that you are 16 times more likely to contract COVID-19 if you are unvaccinated. If you are vaccinated you are very unlikely to become seriously ill or end up in the hospital,” Dr. Jennifer Russell, Chief Medical Officer of Health, said in a release.

advertisement

With 66 reported recoveries, the province now has 825 active cases. 55 people are hospitalized, including 31 in the intensive care unit.

Story continues below ad

- Advertisement -

Of the people in hospital, Public Health says 41 are unvaccinated, three have been partially vaccinated and 11 have been fully vaccinated.

No person under the age of 19 is currently hospitalized.

The province said it reached a milestone on Thursday, with 90.1 percent of the eligible population receiving at least one first dose of the vaccine.

Meanwhile, 81.1 percent of eligible New Brunswickers are fully vaccinated.

Confirmed cases in schools, child care facilities

The rapid testing program for schools will be started from October 12.

Also, the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development has updated its outbreak management process. A new dashboard will be made available “in the coming days” on school data.

Since the start of the school year, cases have been confirmed in 81 schools and 44 early education and child care facilities.

New positive cases have been confirmed in schools and child care facilities in Zone 1 (Moncton area), Zone 2 (St John’s area), Zone 3 (Fredericton area) and Zone 6 (Bathurst area).

Story continues below ad

They:

Zone 1 (Moncton area)

  • Northrop Fry School in Moncton (previously affected)
  • Maplehurst School in Moncton (previously affected)
  • East Coast Kids Child Care and Learning Center in Hillsborough (previously affected)

Zone 2 (St. John’s Area)

  • Campobello Island Integrated School

Zone 3 (Fredericton area)

  • Stanley Consolidated School
  • Heartland Community School (first affected)

Zone 6 (Bathurst area)

  • Superior Middle School in Bathurst

Vitalité Health Network hospitals and facilities in red alert

Vitalité Health Network announced Thursday that all of its hospitals and facilities – including the Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont University Hospital Center in Moncton, Edmundston Regional Hospital and Chellur Regional Hospital – will be put on red alert starting October 12.

For Campbelton Regional Hospital, this measure is effective immediately due to the outbreak of COVID-19 in the hospital.

The red alert means that all non-essential health care and services will be “very rarely or temporarily suspended.”

This includes ambulatory care, professional services such as physiotherapy, non-urgent X-rays and scans, and elective surgery.

Story continues below ad

In a release, the network’s president and chief executive officer, Dr. France Desrosiers said the current situation with COVID-19 has left them no other option.

“We must go on red alert internally so that we can temporarily reduce or suspend non-essential services and thereby maintain our emergency services and intensive care units and care for patients with hospitalized COVID-19. to re-employ employees,” he said. .

“We must also note that this is being done in the context of a severe shortage of staff, which adds to the gravity and complexity of the situation.”

The health network said the most recent epidemiological estimates indicate an increase in the number of hospitalizations over the next few weeks and that they “should be prepared to deal with it.”

Patients will be contacted to reschedule appointments.

Hospitals restricting visitors

Meanwhile, both Horizon and Vitalite health networks are limiting visitors to hospitals and health care facilities until Friday.

Horizon said its “enhanced visitor restrictions” mean no visitors will be allowed — with a few exceptions. Patients are eligible for a designated support person (DPS).

Patients eligible for DPS are:

  • end of life palliative care
  • Obstetrics (labor and delivery, postpartum)
  • Newborn
  • Intensive Care/Critical Care Units
  • Pediatrics
  • Patients who have been in the hospital for 14 days or more
  • Patients with intellectual/communicative impairment (cognitive impairment causing movement and inability to console; communication impairment that affects care)

Patients entering the ER and outpatient clinics who need assistance can also bring in a support person.

Story continues below ad

However, support people should monitor for COVID-19 symptoms before travel, attend a screening before entering, wear a mask, wash hands and only go to the room of the person they are visiting .

Similarly, Vitalite said it is temporarily canceling all hospital visits until 2 p.m. Friday.

Visits to three hospitals in the Northwest zone on October 1 and the Restigoach Hospital Center on October 4 had already been cancelled.

“With the number of COVID-19 cases continuing to rise, the network considers it more prudent to temporarily cancel visits to all of our hospitals until further notice,” Desrosiers said.

“This will reduce traffic in our facilities and better manage the risk of spreading the virus.”

Story continues below ad

Once again, exceptions will be made for those eligible for DSP.

Circuit Breakers Remedy, Thanks Ban

Circuit-breaker measures will begin at 6 pm on Friday for at least 14 days in COVID-19 hot spots.

The areas that will be affected are Zone 1 (Moncton area) as far north and…

- Advertisement -
Mail Us For  DMCA / Credit  Notice

Recent Articles

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox

Related Stories