newYou can now listen to Granthshala News articles!
- Advertisement -

According to a memorandum prepared by Senate Republicans, only a small number of people from Afghanistan who came to the US following President Biden’s decision to withdraw US troops from the country earlier this year were screened, a report said. .

The reported lack of most evacuees – which would contradict a Biden pledge in August – represents a break from a longstanding US policy on refugees, the report said.

advertisement

While the Biden administration investigated more than 82,000 refugees through terrorist and criminal databases, officials failed to access information gathered from interviews, the memo said, the Washington Examiner reported, citing sources, and About 75% of those allowed in the US were not. US citizens, visa holders, applicants or green card holders.

“They created a completely new, out-of-clothes screening process for this population,” a source who requested anonymity told the Examiner. “And then he said to everyone, ‘That’s what you follow.’ DoD [the Defense Department] It was such an overwhelming part, and they follow orders. And so, they’re like, ‘Okay, here’s the checklist. I will do exactly what the checklist says – no more.’ So, that’s what happened, but it’s called DHS. was managed centrally through [Department of Homeland Security],

- Advertisement -

Afghanistan translator expresses gratitude for daughter’s education, US first thanks

The source said it was a “significant” departure from standard refugee screening. Revision became a necessity after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

‘Full investigation’

In August, Biden promised that the withdrawal would be investigated.

“The planes taking off from Kabul are not flying directly to the United States,” Biden said in a statement at the time. “They are landing at US military bases and transit centers around the world. At these sites where they are landing, we are conducting thorough checks – security checks for everyone who is not US citizens or lawful permanent residents. “

“We’re conducting a thorough — security check — for everyone who is not a US citizen or lawful permanent resident.”

— President Biden’s statement from August

According to the Examiner, the memo states that most of the withdrawals were not investigated as only a small number were flagged by US databases and only those were investigated by authorities.

The Department of Homeland Security claimed in a statement to the examiner that it underwent “rigorous, multi-layered and vetted” arrivals from Afghanistan.

DHS officials told the newspaper: “As with any population entering the United States, DHS, in coordination with interagency vetting partners, takes a number of steps to ensure that entry seekers are protected by national security. or a public safety risk.” “The rigorous, multilevel screening and investigation process includes biometric and biographic screenings conducted by intelligence, law enforcement, and counterterrorism professionals from DHS and DoD, as well as by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the National Counterterrorism Center (NCTC), and Additional intelligence community aides. This process includes reviewing fingerprints, photos, and biographical data for each Afghan before being approved to travel to the United States.”

DHS did not immediately respond to Granthshala News’ after-hours request for comment.

‘Double tragedy’

Robert Charles, a former assistant secretary of state during the administration of former President George W. Bush, addressed the revamping issue during an appearance on “Granthshala and Friends First” Friday.

“That means you have more than 73,000, which you really should have checked out and that takes time,” Charles said.

He called the situation a “double tragedy”.

“We’ve left out Americans and visa holders and [Special Immigrants Visa] holders and permanent residents and former employees of the embassy in Afghanistan and we pulled out 73,000 that we really had no grounds to exit.”

The new threats are unlikely to be flagged on the database, so additional screening is needed, he said.

“We have to be right 100% of the time. The bad guys only have to be right 1% of the time,” Charles said.

“We have to be right 100% of the time. The bad guys only have to be right 1% of the time.”

– Robert Charles, former Bush administration official

Another source told examiner, “If someone from Afghanistan presents themselves on our southern border, which is a disaster in itself, they will be flagged for further action and will have an interview. Unfortunately, in this new system that they have specialized in In this population, most of these people did not receive any type of in-person interview.”