Eight people, including two children, have been rescued after a fire broke out on the tenth floor of a block of flats in a suspected arson attack.
Residents of James House in Newtown, Birmingham were heard shouting for help on a balcony after flames spread from a staircase at around 5.40pm.
The West Midlands Fire Service said a pushchair and other items on a staircase were set ablaze.
The force’s area commander, Steve Vincent, said: “This caused panic and people came out of their flats.”
The fire is believed to have been started intentionally and the police are investigating the matter immediately. BBC report.
Fourteen people were treated after inhaling the fumes, while more than 100 residents were pulled out of the burning building.
The fire service said several residents flocked to the lobby areas and were provided security by firefighters, who used fume hoods to protect them.
The displaced were then moved to temporary accommodation at a nearby community centre.
West Midlands Police said in a statement: “We are working with partners to understand the cause of the fire at Birmingham Tower Block this evening.
“We were informed about the fire at 5.40 pm by a resident at James House, Newtown Drive.
“It is understood that the fire started from a communal area or a staircase on the 10th floor. It was quickly extinguished and did not spread to any flat.
“We are currently on site with other emergency services and work has already begun with fire investigators to understand how the fire started.”
Meanwhile the West Midlands Fire Service previously wrote on Twitter: “The fire at James House, Newtown was quickly extinguished by our staff, however many residents entered the lobby areas and were later fired by our firefighters in our smoke hoods.” Security was led by using.
“Four fire engines are still at the scene.”