An emotional vigil has been held in honor of schoolteacher Sabina Nessa in the seaside town of Eastbourne, where the man suspected of her murder was arrested last month.
About 200 people gathered at sunset on Tuesday to pay tribute to Ms Nessa and protest the “crisis” of violence against women.
The 28-year-old teacher was on her way to visit a friend at a pub near her home when she was fatally attacked at Cater Park in south-east London. About 24 hours later his body was found near a community center in the park.
Vigil co-organizer Natasha Peacock told the crowd gathered at the city’s Victorian pier: “Sabina Nessa must still be alive.
“She was loved and will be greatly missed.”
Many of the participants took pictures of Ms Nessa, while others carried signs recalling male violence or Sarah Everard, who was murdered in March by police officer Wayne Coogens.
Others held placards and wrote, “When will women be safe?” While the other said “she was just walking home”.
Ms Mayur continued: “Women are afraid for their lives.
“We have to consider the risk of going out alone after 6 p.m. and potentially being assaulted, assaulted, raped or murdered and the advice to flag down buses doesn’t make us feel safe.
“This is a crisis. We need to prioritize the safety of women and girls.”
Tuesday’s vigil came amid ongoing public outcry and debate over women’s safety and policing. The Metropolitan Police, Cressida Dick, on Monday announced a review of the “standards and culture” in force after calling for her resignation.
The peaceful protest continued for about an hour, with various speakers addressing the crowd. Around 7 p.m., they paused in thoughtful reflection as they read the Muslim prayer.
The vigil ended with a minute’s silence for Ms Nessa, as people raised their phone torches in the air in the ensuing darkness.
Kosi Selamaj was arrested in the early hours of 26 September in East Sussex City on suspicion of killing Ms Nessa. A light-coloured Nissan Micra was seized in a green residential street about half a mile away.
Mr Selamaj, 36, of Eastbourne, has indicated he will deny the charge of murder. He has been remanded in custody ahead of the hearing of a petition on December 16.
Credit: www.independent.co.uk /