Provincial spokesman Matiullah Rouhani told Granthshala that the attack happened during Friday prayers at the Syed Abad Mosque in Kunduz.
At least 20 people were killed and 90 were injured, according to Sarah Chare, an official with Doctors Without Borders (MSF), who said some of the casualties were brought to the NGO’s facility.
A Taliban spokesman said security forces were on the spot and the matter was being investigated. So far no group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
The United Nations Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) said on Twitter that Friday’s mosque bombing is “part of a disturbing pattern of violence” and the third fatal attack this week “apparently targeting a religious institution.”
Islamic State affiliate IS Khorasan (ISIS-K) has claimed responsibility for Monday’s bombing, one of a series of attacks launched by the militant group since the Taliban took control of Afghanistan more than a month ago. Others include a suicide attack on Kabul’s airport in August and bombings targeting Taliban members in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad.
The group is a threat to the stability of the country and the Taliban regime. In recent days, the Taliban has conducted several operations targeting ISIS-K terrorists.
The Taliban claimed to have killed at least nine ISIS-members and detained five others in two operations last week, targeting ISIS positions in the central Afghan province of Parwan, according to local Taliban police chief Maulvi Abdul Qadir Haqqani. .
Credit : www.cnn.com