Family of man who died after being tasered criticise ‘cruel’ wait to see footage

- Advertisement -


The relatives of a man who died after falling off a London bridge after being torched have said it was “brutal” for them to wait more than three months to see a police bodycam video of the incident.

- Advertisement -

The family of Oladezi Ademi Omishore, who was killed at Chelsea Bridge in June, said they were shown body-cam footage on Wednesday.

Footage of the incident posted on social media showed officers challenging Mr Omishor and then releasing a Taser while shouting in an agitated manner.


After initially being disabled, the 41-year-old recovered and ran across the bridge before jumping into the river below.

A description released by the Metropolitan Police after the incident said officers were called to report that a man was “armed with a screwdriver”.

In June, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) confirmed that Mr. Omishor, known as Deji by his family, did indeed have a plastic and metal firelighter, which relatives said he was Cigarettes were lit.

Investigators from the Independent Office for Police Conduct are investigating the events surrounding the incident.

In a statement released on Twitter on Thursday, Mr Omishore’s family said: “Yesterday, our family was finally allowed to view video footage of the body-wearing officers who met our brother Daisy at Chelsea Bridge.

“This has come more than 3 months after his death.

“There is no justification for the systematic wait that families have to endure to access this footage. It is cruel and deprives families of clarity and closure.

“We’ve heard reports of cases where access has exceeded 18 months! Why?!

“From bystander footage, we can see that Deeji was vulnerable and subject to excessive use of force.”

The family said that using a Taser was “reckless, coercive, and severely missed opportunities to worsen the situation.”

He added: “The weather police still have a lot to answer for.

“He died as a result of his actions, the officer is still on active duty, there has been no investigation into his conduct. Neither has been interviewed under caution.

“We are calling for this to be changed immediately.”

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: “This was a sad incident and our sympathies are with the family of Mr Omishore as they continue to come to terms with the loss of a loved one.

“The matter is under investigation by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).

“We are cooperating fully with the IOPC’s investigation and their findings will be released in due course.

“The officers involved in this incident are on full duty. Decisions regarding the status of any officer involved in an incident under investigation are reviewed.

An IOPC spokesperson said: “Our thoughts and sympathies are with the family and friends of Oladeji Omishore. Our investigation into the circumstances surrounding his death is progressing well and our investigators are collecting and analyzing critical evidence.”

“At this stage we have no indication that any of the officers involved may have violated police professional standards or committed any criminal offence, although we continue to review cases of conduct.

“We will work to complete the investigation as quickly as possible and we are committed to conducting a thorough and robust investigation of all evidence. We continue to get in touch with Mr. Omishore’s family to update them on our progress. ,


- Advertisement -

Recent Articles

Related Stories