Fans are banned from one England match as UEFA get tough after 5,000 thugs stormed the barriers at Wembley before Euro 2020 final while terrified spectators, police and stewards fled 

- Advertisement -


  • An estimated 5,000 ticketless supporters surrounded the security and entered the stadium.
  • The Football Association was also accused of a pitch attacker, fireworks and Three Lions fans loudly chanting the Italian national anthem in the showpiece.
  • UEFA has announced a two-match stadium ban, but one game is suspended.
  • The body has also imposed a fine of one lakh euros on the Football Association.
  • And it has emerged that only one England fan has been convicted of causing trouble at the Euros – and police don’t know if they were the ones causing trouble in the final

- Advertisement -

England have been ordered to play at least one match behind closed doors after the Football Association banned the stadium for violence at the Euro 2020 final.

UEFA has ruled that English football’s governing body will face a two-game stadium ban, one of which is suspended, and a 100,000 euro fine for the chaotic scenes that led to the European Championship final between England and Italy on 11 July. was wasted.

advertisement

sportsmail It was revealed last month that the FA had requested a personal hearing to fight the prospect of a stadium ban amid fears they would have to play at least one match behind closed doors – with those concerns now a reality.

- Advertisement -

The FA insisted UEFA, the governing body of European football, be kept fully updated with policing and security measures for the final between England and Italy in the hopes of reducing their punishment.

Nevertheless, UEFA was so dismayed by the embarrassing scenes leading up to the final that they banned supporters.

Today, the FA said it was ‘deeply sorry’ that the hooligans were able to enter the stadium and stressed that it continues to work with the authorities to bring them to account.

Following the final, the FA proceeded rapidly under the leadership of Baroness Casey to conduct an independent review of the events surrounding the match.

Soccer fans storm through security barriers at Wembley just moments before England’s nail-biting battle against Italy has led to a Covid test being abandoned

Police launched an unprecedented campaign to stem the conflict between England and Italy, but that was not enough to stop the appalling behavior of thousands of ticketless supporters.

Families of England players were forced to escape from the yobs, who barged their way inside the stadium, while others were victims of attempted ticket theft and lawless queues at various entry points.

An estimated 250,000 fans were in the confines of the stadium before kick-off, with thousands participating in fun-loving antisocial behavior – including drug abuse and urinating in public.

UEFA said in a statement that it will “order the English Football Association to play its next two UEFA competition matches behind closed doors as the host association, the second of which will be served on a probation period of two years from the date of the current decision.” has been suspended. For the lack of order and discipline in and around the stadium.

The affected game is likely to be a Nations League fixture in June. The draw for the Nations League is 16 December. England can play in front of players like France, Spain, Italy or Belgium without any fans.

And the European body said it would ‘find the English Football Association €100,000 for lack of order and discipline in and around the stadium, for attacking the playing field, for throwing objects and for disturbances during the national anthem’. . .

Under UEFA rules, the FA is responsible for the behavior of England supporters.

On the day of the final, which began at 8 pm on Sunday, a huge crowd had gathered on Olympic Way near the stadium.

From the pedestrian street from the Wembley Park underground station to the outskirts of the arena, some fans sat atop hard lighting flares, lamp posts scaling and any accessible ceilings, while drunk and dancing over broken glass.

Fans gather at Olympic Way outside Wembley ahead of Euro 2020 final

Fans gather at Olympic Way outside Wembley ahead of Euro 2020 final

Thousands decided to try their luck after sporting capacity was cut from 90,000 to 60,000 in response to the coronavirus pandemic and illegally grabbed one of the 30,000 vacant seats at Wembley.

Supporters were able to almost reach the perimeter of the stadium without checking tickets. At that time fans were required to show their Covid certification to activate the tickets.

However, gangs of unticketed fans target the outer enclosure and the turnstiles and security gates of the stadium itself. An estimated 5,000 yobos gained admission.

In the clashes around the stadium, 19 police officers were injured and many fans panicked.

However, as reported by sportsmail Last week, a Home Office report on football-related crime revealed that only 39 people were arrested in relation to the disorder.

Crowd of England fans outside the stadium pushed the barrier before the match

Crowd of England fans outside the stadium pushed the barrier before the match

World Cup bid down

The United Kingdom’s joint World Cup 2030 bid with the Republic of Ireland is set to be rejected by UEFA, undermining its support for the horrific scenes of Euro 2020.

sportsmail European football’s governing body will try to encourage the UK and Ireland to focus on Euro 2028, which UEFA will support if the home nations agree to skip the World Cup, it was reported on Saturday.

Sources in the Irish government and UEFA suggest that the Spain-Portugal bid from Europe has ‘the only real chance of winning at FIFA’.

The UK and Irish bidding is undergoing a £2.8 million feasibility study.

In recent days, however, it has reached Ireland’s sports department that ‘the UK and Ireland bid had effectively ended before it even began’, with Spain and Portugal popularly supported at UEFA headquarters.

A major reason why UEFA has asked home countries to withdraw is that many in the governing body do not believe that the tender has any chance of garnering substantial votes across Europe.

This is partly down to the appalling behavior at the Euro 2020 final, when thousands of drunken fans broke into Wembley, stealing seats from ticket-paying supporters in horrific scenes that were broadcast around the world.

MPs from the Committee on Digital, Culture, Media and Sport are due to examine the UK’s 2030 World Cup bid in a meeting on Tuesday.

advertisement

According to the Home Office, Euro 2020 saw 96 arrests for football-related offences. Of these, 90 were in games played by England at Wembley.

However, only one England fan has been convicted of causing trouble at the Euros.

After appealing to the public for information, 25 more have been arrested.

The Metropolitan Police say their figures show 129 people were arrested throughout the Euro 2020 championship, although the figure is not limited to ‘football-related’ offenses and includes common crimes such as theft.

Of the arrests, 19 have been charged, 10 have been issued with caution and 16 have been issued penal notices for disorder. Three of those arrested have been sent to youth offensive teams.

The remaining 104 people have either been released under investigation or have been granted bail for further interrogation.

Huge crowds gathered outside Wembley ahead of the final, including many without tickets

Huge crowds gathered outside Wembley ahead of the final, including many without tickets

While the Met Police arrest figures are high, it is understood that they include general crimes such as theft, and are not specifically related to football.

Following the events the FA announced that it had launched an independent review into ‘outrageous scenes’ led by Baroness Casey of Blackstock.

However, it was not only Wembley’s breach of circumference that caused disappointment in the final.

Inside the stadium, the Italian national anthem was loudly chanted by England supporters, despite Three Lions manager, Gareth Southgate asking fans to refrain from abusive behavior before the game.

The FA had already been fined £30,000 by UEFA for three incidents during their 2–1 win over Denmark in the semi-finals of the tournament, which they described as a ‘disturbance during the anthem’.

A group of football fans storm through security barriers at Wembley as stewards desperately try to hold them back ahead of the Euro 2020 final at Wembley

A group of football fans storm through security barriers at Wembley as stewards desperately try to hold them back ahead of the Euro 2020 final at Wembley

Bewildered watching: A fan draped in the flag of England looks on as supporters with tickets clash with the invaders

Bewildered watching: A fan draped in the flag of England looks on as supporters with tickets clash with the invaders

The semi-final clearance was also related to a laser pointer shining into Danish goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel’s eye and a separate moment in which Flairs was seen during the encounter.

The final, four days later, was further disrupted when a reality TV wannabe, Adam Harrison, forced the match to be temporarily halted after he vaulted advertising billboards, ran onto the pitch and was initially captured by the stewards. escaped from

Harrison took to social media to celebrate his stunt and was recognized as a musician who had previously appeared in Little Mix: The Search.

Following the announcement of the UEFA sanctions, the FA issued a statement.

“While we are disappointed with the decision, we accept the outcome of UEFA’s decision,” a spokesman said.

‘We condemn the appalling behavior of the individuals who created the embarrassing scene in and around Wembley Stadium in the Euro 2020 final, and we are deeply sorry that some of them were able to enter the stadium.

‘We are determined this can never be repeated, so we have launched an independent review, led by Baroness Casey, to report on the circumstances involved. We continue to work with relevant authorities in support of their efforts to take action against those responsible and hold them accountable.

The glitch in July’s final has raised questions about the FA’s ability to host the World Cup in 2030. Home Nation’s football associations are considering a bid to stage the competition.

.

- Advertisement -
Mail Us For  DMCA / Credit  Notice

Recent Articles

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox

Related Stories