Gary Sanchez, Clint Frazier’s demise part of a bigger Yankees problem

- Advertisement -


Thanks, indeed.

- Advertisement -

For those who spent nearly seven months watching Yankees and Mets games, it’s a wonderful time of year when both teams try to catch up with—try on—what bothered them, especially if they fail. Spectators can’t miss starting in spring training.

In the cases of Clint Frazier and Gary Sanchez – both now presumably ex-Yankees released as Frazier and GM Brian Cashman looking for an upgrade behind the plate – both suffered from apparent and near-fatal Yankees disease, Active belief that every swing, even the low and two strikes off the pitch, should score home runs.

advertisement

Sánchez became Exhibit A of a franchise that was deeply mired in denial, as season by season within Yes telecast earshot, everyone from Aaron Boone to Michael Kay, both as a catcher and .200 batsman in their weekly Saw improvements, returning to the dugout after striking out. With the same outrageous speed, he chased the passed balls.

The reason we didn’t see any such improvements at home is because we didn’t see any improvement, although Sanchez’s exit velocity on the foul ball was a cause for delight.

- Advertisement -

As a catcher, if Sanchez had improved, he could not yet achieve the minimum proper replication position. He consistently lowered his glove pocket in trying backhand pitches, which he should have moved to block or catch with an open mitt.

Frazier had the misfortune of hitting a few home runs upon entering the Major, thus possibly struck by the belief that he was a slugger, in favor of joining hands with both first- and third-base coaches to reach first base. undermines his talent. While jogging at home.

Yankees
Clint Frazier and Gary Sanchez
NY Post: Charles Weinzelberg, Corey Sipkin

If the Yanks tried to steer him away from such a silly notion, he didn’t. Old-school analytics shows that as a Yankee he batted 235 times in 942 at-bats, 25 percent of the time, 36 percent of the previous season. 186. He must have thought it was Giancarlo Stanton. Or Gary Sanchez.

But do victims curse the Yankees baseball. Everyone knows baseball has taken a very bad turn toward self-destruction, yet no one is doing anything about it.

So Thanksgiving becomes the perfect time to gather with friends and family to enjoy the sight and sounds of the season – especially as no one goes on shifts.

All Thor A Good Cause

Hear it in for Noah Syndergaard to bring Mike Francesa out of his latest retirement. (Sitting Bull never returned the ice cream maker I gave him at his first retirement party).


Ohio State-Michigan brings comedic remembrance on Saturday to one of its extraordinary, all-knowing, dead-wrong specialist brokers: Michigan 2018 at OSU. Michigan’s defense, he puffed, so good OSU would be lucky not to close.

Michigan lost, 62-39 – the most points ever.


From worse to better, a lot of people paid a lot of money to see LeBron James play at the Garden on Tuesday. I’m told the cheapest ticket on the secondary market was $200 for a view from just below the ozone layer. But James did not play because he was suspended.

Thus, reader Charles Fowler has an idea: All short-term suspensions – James’ were for one game – should only be served during the player’s or players’ home games.

Eventually, the NBA, fully aware of the business, threatens to impose fines for teams that rest star players during national broadcasts. The Lakers-Knicks was on Tuesday, TNT.


What We Were Told Vs. What we watch: Weekly, televised Jets gamers tell us that LB CJ Mosley is extra special, sensational. Weekly, however, there is little visual evidence.

We see him easily blocked. We see her miss tackle. We see him last to recognize the play, often when the play goes far beyond him. But what do we know?

jet
Joe Mixon takes the catch in front of CJ Mosley.
Getty Images

The graphic, as seen during the Dolphins-Jets on CBS on Sunday, refers to Bears QB Justin Fields in Chicago’s game against the Ravens: “J. Fields: Out for game, Ribs.”

“Don’t you think it’s a little unprofessional?” asks reader Sam Agami. “I think Fields could have waited until after the game to get some BBQ.”


More graphics: ESPN’s Saturday Football Studio show posted “News” that Pitt has an “83 percent” chance of defeating Virginia, while Virginia has a “17 percent” chance of defeating Pitt. Pencil… down!

Burn Baby Burn… a Timeout

Years ago a football announcer, and I had forgotten who he was, noted that a team was forced to call a timeout due to confusion. Thus, he said, the head coach was forced to “burn a timeout”. Nice description, because the timeout was useless.

But for no known sensible reason virtually all that time taken is now referred to as “burns”. You don’t “use” or “call” timeouts, you just burn them.

On Saturday, just before the half against Penn State, Rutgers coach Greg Schiano called a strategic timeout. BTN’s Corey Provas said he “burned a timeout.”

Rutgers
Greg Schiano
AP

The next day, with the Dolphins driving against the jets, 13 seconds remaining in the half, Miami called the timeout as a matter of common sense. Still, Adam Archuleta of CBS said that Miami “had to burn a timeout”—as if Miami might have saved it otherwise.


Stories that once seemed so improbable and horrifying that they made big news are now least noticed or ignored.

Imagine being shut down by Granthshala as a cost-cutting measure, then sent to no less than five people on the game’s site to watch half of Granthshala’s college football broadcasts so that each has no significance. Don’t be


Oregon-Utah, on Saturday on ABC, recognized Utah as the team in its traditional red color. But neither team even wore red stitches.


Every time ESPN presented a mob shot from the Giants-Bucks on Monday night, it was that of a “fan” who escaped a facility for the criminally insane. Message to be repeated: Participating in NFL games is both expensive and risky.


Clearly, advertisers consider Serena Williams so beloved by the American public that she can successfully endorse everything and anything. Still, I don’t consider it quite the opposite.


Tennis
Serena Williams
Getty Images

Reader Todd Alts suggests that the fan who vomited on the court during Saturday’s Jazz-Kings was doing his part to minimize court-storming. What also made this event unique: both teams returned to defense at the same time.


More real pigskin gibberish: Greg Olsen of the Granthshala, Sunday, after catching a pass by Packers’ RB AJ Dillon: “He’s an exceptional catcher of football.” Then Olsen must be a phenomenal thrower from Baloney.

ESPN’s Booger McFarland in Monday’s Giants-Bucks halftime: “There isn’t a more left-wing-dependent team in the NFL than the Dallas Cowboys.”

Given that Dallas QB Dak Prescott is the most mobile, I wish McFarland explained why Dallas’ left tackle is more essential than any “pocket-dependent” QB’s LT.

And while it’s probably none of my business, but if one has settled in an open field—now also known as “in space”—how open is the field? Only Michael Strahan would be eligible to tackle in space.

,

- Advertisement -
Mail Us For  DMCA / Credit  Notice

Recent Articles

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox

Related Stories