A UK teenager essentially ate her own hair, according to a new report, which developed a massive hairball in her abdomen, piercing her abdominal wall.

As of Feb. 9, published in the journal, the oval-shaped hairball was 19 inches (48 centimeters) long and fully filled to the stomach. BMJ case report.

She initially fainted twice after going to hospital at the age of 17, injuring her face and skull while falling.

She initially fainted twice after going to hospital at the age of 17, injuring her face and skull while falling.
(IStock)

She initially fainted twice after going to hospital at the age of 17, injuring her face and skull while falling.

The doctor wanted to know the secret of the head injury, but during an examination, he noticed a mass in the upper abdomen of the girl. The report stated that the teenager had experienced abdominal pain for the past five months, which worsened in the two weeks before her hospital visit.

COSTID-19 Vaclin Rollout, Amsterdam’s University Membership with POLIL Finals

She There was also a history of two mental health disorders: trichotillomania, or a strong urge to get one’s hair out; And related condition trichophagia, or compulsory feeding of hair.

A computed tomography (CT) scan showed a “massive discolored stomach” and a tear in the abdominal wall, according to study authors from Nottingham from Queen’s Medical Center in England.

The teenager was diagnosed with Rapunzel syndrome, in which a hairball in the abdomen – known medically as a trichoboses – extends into the intestine. Live science first told.

She The authors said the surgery was performed, and the doctors removed the hairball, which was so large “formed a cast of the entire abdomen.”

Between 0.5% and 3% of people will experience trichotillomania at some point in their lives, according to National Organization for Rare Disorders. Only 10% to 30% of people with trichotillomania have trichophagia, Live science first told. According to a 2019 study published in the journal, people with both conditions develop only 1% hair mass in their gastrointestinal tract. Pancreas.

Eating hair can cause serious complications, including intestinal obstruction and even death. Mayo Clinic. In 2017, a 16-year-old girl in England Died from Rapunzel syndrome A hairball in his abdomen was followed by a fatal infection.

Click here for complete coronary coverage

In the present case, the teenager was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) after her surgery, and received food through a feeding tube inserted into her small intestine while her stomach healed.

After evaluation by the hospital’s psychiatrists, she had an “uneven postoperative course”, and was released from the hospital seven days after her surgery, the authors wrote. A month later, she had no signs of complications, “progressing well with dietary advice” and was seeing a psychologist, he said.

Originally published on Live Science.