Boris Johnson has said the minister will “leave absolutely no stone unturned” to establish what went wrong in the Arthur Labinjo-Hughes case.
Stepmother Emma Tustin, six, was sentenced on Friday to life after being found guilty of her murder, while her father, Thomas Hughes, was sentenced to 21 years for murder.
Solihull’s local Child Protection Partnership launched an independent review after it emerged in court that the boy had been seen by social workers just two months before his death, but they concluded there were “no safety concerns”.
Speaking during a by-election campaign tour in North Shropshire, the prime minister said it was essential that lessons be learned from what happened.
He said, “I just want to say on the sad and horrifying case of Arthur Labinjo-Hughes, like many people I find it difficult to read, let alone understand how people can treat a defenseless little child like that.” are,” he said.
“I’m glad that justice was done, in the sense that they both got the harshest punishment, but that’s absolutely no consolation, and what we’ve got to be sure is if we learn a lesson about that case.” Let us see what really happened, what else could have been done to save that child.
“It’s early days, but I can tell you this, we will spare no effort to find out what went wrong with that horrific case.”
Education Secretary Nadim Jahvi said he would make a statement on the matter in Parliament on Monday.
“We are committed to protecting children from harm and where concerns are raised, we will not hesitate to take immediate and strong action,” he said.
“We will not rest until we find the answers to the questions we need.”
Councilor Ian Courts, leader of Solihull Council, said in a statement that he was “deeply shocked and shocked” at Arthur’s death, adding that the council would “leave no stone unturned to understand, learn and fix any issue that is independent of Review finds.” and “Any further action that may be taken through subsequent reviews and inspections”.
Earlier, 32-year-old Tustin was sentenced to at least 29 years at Coventry Crown Court.
He committed a deadly assault on 16 June 2020 with Arthur in the hallway of their home on Cranmore Road in Solihull, first abusing, starving and poisoning him.
During the trial, jurors heard that social workers from Solihull Council visited the boy at Tustin’s home on 17 April 2020.
The journey began after Arthur’s maternal grandmother, secondary school teacher Joan Hughes, called the emergency social services team to report a bruise on the boy’s back.
Social workers then examined Arthur’s back and discovered a “faint” yellow bruise, agreeing with Tustin and Hughes that it was a “happy home” with no cause for concern.
Credit: www.independent.co.uk /