Luis Suarez insists his phone gesture celebration after scoring against old club Barcelona was NOT directed at boss Ronald Koeman… despite under-fire Dutchman telling star his time at the Nou Camp was over during a call last year

- Advertisement -


  • Luis Suárez scored one goal and assisted the other in defeating former club Barcelona.
  • Atletico Madrid striker refuses to celebrate after scoring in 2-0 win
  • He made a phone call with his right hand, pointing to the crowd after setting the trap
  • But Uruguay insists it agrees to do so with its children before the game

- Advertisement -

Luis Suarez insisted his phone call gesture after scoring in Atletico Madrid’s 2-0 win against Barcelona was not aimed at Ronald Koeman.

The Uruguayan assisted Thomas Lemar’s opener at the Wanda Metropolitano, before becoming the scorer in a similar move to give the Catalan giants their first LaLiga defeat of the season.

advertisement

The 34-year-old refused to celebrate after netting against his former club, but appeared to send a message to Koeman by making a phone with his right hand and putting it in his ear before resuming play.

Atletico Madrid striker Luis Suarez
- Advertisement -

Luis Suarez (right) insists his phone call was not aimed at Ronald Koeman (left)

Suarez scored one goal and assisted another as Atletico Madrid beat Barcelona on Saturday

Suarez scored one goal and assisted another as Atletico Madrid beat Barcelona on Saturday

The now-fired Dutchman told Suarez during a phone call last year after his appointment that his time at Camp Nou had run out.

This hastened the striker’s departure for Atletico and led some to believe his actions on Saturday were directed at his former boss. But speaking after the game, Suarez said he had agreed to the gesture with his three children and did not take a dig at Koman.

“The (celebration) was for people who know I have the same number so they know I’m still on my phone,” Suarez told Movistar. ‘It was something I agreed with my kids on. It was not at all for Koman.’

in one Interview with Spanish radio station Onda Cerro in FebruarySuarez said: ‘It was tough when Barcelona told me they didn’t trust me, I didn’t expect it.

Uruguay refuses to celebrate against former club with folded hands in prayer

Uruguay refuses to celebrate against former club with folded hands in prayer

‘Those were very difficult moments because of the way’ [in which it happened].

‘Koman called me and told me I was not on his plan. When Barcelona officially said they don’t trust me, talks with Atleti started, with Cholo [manager Diego Simeone], with [CEO] Miguel Angel.’

But seconds after scoring, the Mohamed Salah-esque gesture closed his eyes with his hands together in prayer.

Suarez insisted that he had also decided before the game that he would not celebrate if he netted against the club, for which he scored 198 goals and with which he won four LaLiga titles along with the Champions League crown. Live.

Suarez revealed in February that he was told in a phone call with Koeman that his time at Barca had ended

Suarez revealed in February that he was told in a phone call with Koeman that his time at Barca had ended

‘I didn’t even celebrate fully in honor of Barcelona. I knew if I scored I would not celebrate,’ he said.

The result nonetheless puts pressure on under-fire Barcelona boss Koman, with the league reverse in the capital following a Champions League defeat by Benfica in midweek.

The former Everton and Southampton boss was assured of his future by President Joan Laporta hours before a defeat by Simeone’s men, and insisted there was clarity between them now.

Asked about Laporta’s remarks earlier in the day that the Dutch coach should be given time, Koemann said: ‘We talked last night and this morning. We have spoken about the team and the situation is clear.

The defeat at the Wanda Metropolitano, however, only added to the pressure on the Dutchman.

The defeat at the Wanda Metropolitano, however, only added to the pressure on the Dutchman.

But when asked if the trust vote could come soon, he said: “Yes, it can happen.” But I am grateful that it has been said. it’s never too late.’

Regarding his long-term future, Koman suggested that he had urged Laporta to publicly support him.

He added: ‘I thought it would be nice to have clarity. But I know that results always decide. We have to win our three home matches after the international break.

‘I believe I can improve the situation. We are missing important players. All I have been able to do is have the best of the players available to us.

Barcelona president Joan Laporta (centre) extended his support to Koman before the defeat

Barcelona president Joan Laporta (centre) extended his support to Koman before the defeat

.

- Advertisement -
Mail Us For  DMCA / Credit  Notice

Recent Articles

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox

Related Stories