A new poll shows that one in three Canadians is keeping a close eye on the January 6 hearing in the United States – and three in four blame Donald Trump for the riots.
Leger’s online survey, conducted in August for the Association for Canadian Studies, found that 37 percent of respondents in Canada and 44 percent in the U.S. observed hearing loss closely.
More than half of American respondents, 54 percent, said the former president is responsible for the Capitol Hill riots, compared to 72 percent in Canada.
The selection committee examining January 6 is set to hold its next hearing on Wednesday, possibly the last before the midterm in November.
The survey, which surveyed 1,509 respondents in Canada and 1,002 in the US immediately after the hearing in July, leaves little room for error because online surveys are not based on random samples.
A final report on the committee’s findings is expected before the end of the year, but it is unclear whether it will be released before Election Day, November 8.
Jack Zwab, the association’s president and CEO, said the level of Canadian interest in the hearing is likely to have more to do with Trump’s continued fascination and his ever-evolving legacy than anything else.
Jedwab said the former president had “left a bad feeling for most Canadians,” who were not largely supportive of his presidency or its impact on Canada-US relations.
“Trump is seen as someone who soured relations between the two countries and as the object of considerable mistrust.”
The poll, conducted before Pierre Poiliver claimed leadership of the Conservative Party, also broke down Canadian participants by party affiliation.
Maxim Bernier’s hard-right People’s Party of Canada was the only party where a majority – 57 percent – said they would like to see Trump run for president again in 2024, with 25 percent opposing and 18 percent saying refused.
Among the Conservatives, 28 percent said they would support Trump for the nomination, while 64 percent disagreed. Opposition to Trump’s candidacy ran close to 90 percent among Liberals, NDP and Green Party supporters, and reached 95 percent among Bloc Quebecois supporters.
- How to watch Jupiter as it’s closest to Earth in 59 years
- School board aware of potential protest over Oakville teacher’s dress as dress code under review
Since hearings began in June, the committee, led by Mississippi Democrat Representative Benny Thompson and Wyoming Republican Rep. Liz Cheney, has unraveled a narrative tying the riots at the Trump White House.
That link got a boost on Sunday when Denver Rigelman, a former committee staffer, described “60 Minutes” of a phone call between a rioter and someone in the White House on January 6.
“You get a real ‘aha’ moment when you see that the White House switchboard was connected to a rioters’ phone while this is happening,” Rigelman said. He said the identity of who was on the phone at the White House remains a mystery.
“The American people need to know that there are links that need to be explored more.”
Committee member Representative Jamie Ruskin acknowledged that evidence on Sunday, calling it one of many clear links between the White House and the people who stormed the Capitol on Jan.
“We are interested in telling the bigger story, which was an organized, pre-planned, deliberate strike against the Vice President and Congress to overthrow the 2020 presidential election,” Ruskin told “Meet the Press.”
“What we are going to do on Wednesday is to fill in the details that have come to the notice of the committee in the last five or six weeks.”
The committee may also point out that, if anything, it has learned from former Republican Speaker Newt Gingrich and his role in promoting the defeated president’s persistent claims of electoral fraud.
Thompson wrote to Gingrich earlier this month about the evidence that he said Gingrich was “involved in various other aspects of the plan to reverse the 2020 election and prevent the transfer of power,” including after Jan. also includes.
The riots sparked by a massive protest among Trump supporters on the day Congress was ratifying Joe Biden’s election victory provided a dramatic and deadly exclamation point for the most turbulent presidency in modern history.
And the hearing, which exploded the notion that the chaos was merely a protest that got out of hand, has proved to be an unexpected summer blockbuster, thanks to the help of former ABC News president James Goldston.
The committee heard how Pence averted a constitutional crisis by ignoring Trump’s demands to reject the election results, and remained at the base of Congress, even as protesters cried out for his violent ouster.
Members heard about a chaotic meeting of Trump’s fringe advisers from former White House counsel Pat Cipollone, desperate to keep the president in power, the night before.
That meeting included a draft executive order that would have made Trump campaign lawyer Sidney Powell a special counsel that could order the US military to seize voting machines from across the country.
After the meeting dissolved in despair, the president issued his deadly tweet late at night to lure supporters to DC: “Will get wild,” he wrote.
And Cassidy Hutchinson, an aide to Trump’s chief of staff Mark Meadows, told the committee how the president urged the Secret Service to stop screening protesters for weapons, saying, “They’re not here to hurt me.”
And he described hearing an angry Trump lunging to the steering wheel of his SUV when members of his Secret Service description refused to take him…