A 40-year-old driver accused of trying to drive a crowd on a sidewalk in Southern California was beaten to death after being pulled from his pickup truck, officials said.
Around 2 a.m. on Saturday, Melguín López Santos was asked to leave the Rock It Sports Lounge and Grill on Hawthorne Boulevard in Los Angeles County due to “nuisance”. Mr Santos reportedly got into his truck and drove onto a sidewalk, endangering several patrons who waited outside the bar.
According to CBS Los Angeles, officials said the truck first hit a tree and then a group of people pulled it out of the vehicle and an altercation ensued.
“Hawthorne police officers found the driver lying on the ground, suffering blunt force trauma,” the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said in a statement. “The paramedics provided life-saving measures, but [Santos] He was declared dead on the spot.”
Officials are looking for four possible suspects in the case and no arrests have been made so far. Most of those involved in the fight were interviewed by investigators and later released.
Lieutenant Hugo Reynaga, an officer with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, said the incident was captured on surveillance cameras, the footage is grainy and that the incident took place in the back of the truck, which was partially out of view. daily wind. “You could see there was a fight going on, but you couldn’t tell who was doing what.”
Lieutenant Reynaga said investigators are now awaiting an autopsy report from the coroner’s office because they suspect the man may have had medical problems that led to his death during the fighting, adding that the accidents ” Wasn’t that impressive.”
Credit: www.independent.co.uk /