Ministers have been accused of making “reckless errors” in the data-keeping of British nationals stranded in Afghanistan when she informed a man in Britain that his six-year-old daughter had been safely taken to Britain, when in fact He is still in the country.
Mr Kamal, a Manchester resident who did not wish to have his full name published, contacted his MP in late August because he was “deeply concerned” about the well-being of his Afghan wife and four British daughters, who were on an evacuation flight. were unable to board. Kabul.
Labor MP Afzal Khan inquired about the matter with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCDO), and on 29 September received a response stating that one of the man’s daughters, aged six, had successfully left Afghanistan and He returned to Britain while his wife and three other daughters were still in the country.
The same correspondence also indicated that none of her daughters were registered with the FCDO as British citizens in Afghanistan, when in fact they are.
Mr Khan said that when he passed on Mr Kamal’s response, the father of four told him “emphatically” that the six-year-old was still in Afghanistan, and that he was “quite distressed” that the UK government was telling him otherwise. .
The MP later wrote to Foreign Secretary Liz Truss, seeking to know the procedures in place to ensure such errors do not recur.
His letter, sent on Monday, said: “While I appreciate that this has been a challenging time for your department, such careless and careless errors are not only for me, but for Mr. Kamal and all my constituents.” Very disturbing for those who are desperate for help. And support during this ongoing crisis.
“If such mistakes are being made, how can I or my constituents be expected to trust any information being shared? In the light of this incident, can you please explain what are the procedures in place to ensure that such errors do not recur?”
It comes amid growing concern for British nationals who were unable to board evacuation flights from Afghanistan in August and are therefore still stranded in the country for fear of a Taliban regime.
Most were instructed to go Kabul airport for evacuation The flight took off in August but found that thousands of people were trying to flee the country, so they could not get near the entrance.
Critics say ministers should do more to identify these people and find viable ways to aid their evacuation.
Mr Khan told Granthshala: “It is utterly ridiculous for the FCDO to suggest a six-year-old girl traveling from Afghanistan to the UK in the midst of this crisis – anyone with an ounce of common sense would have questioned its possible veracity.
“While this is just an error, it speaks of a widespread disregard for lawmakers and their constituents and encapsulates the approach of the FCDO and the Home Office during this crisis.”
FCDO has been contacted for comment.
Credit: www.independent.co.uk /