- Manchester United are understood to be planning winter transfer window
- Seven first-teamers are reportedly on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s chopping block
- Phil Jones, Eric Bailly, Diogo Dalot and Alex Telles may also be sold by the club.
Manchester United are reportedly making a rough plan for their squad in the January transfer window, with seven players understood to be on the chopping block.
Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is said to have been eager to reduce his squad to raise transfer funds, with several first-team stars at risk of being sold.
According to Sunday, Anthony Marshall, Jesse Lingard, Donny van de Beek, Phil Jones, Eric Bailly, Diogo Dalot and Alex Telles could all go.
Anthony Martial is one of seven stars Manchester United are said to be willing to sell in January
Neither of those players are first team regulars on the team, so selling them will not undermine the starting team or even the wider team, if they are replaced.
And the Red Devils are understood to be planning talks with players to discuss their future before the winter transfer window opens in the new year.
Martial is still just 25 years old but his future at Old Trafford remains highly uncertain after several inconsistent seasons – especially after the spectacular signing of Cristiano Ronaldo increased competition in the front row.
After signing as a 20-year-old from Monaco in 2015, the Frenchman has scored 17 goals in all competitions, scored a decent goal against Liverpool on his debut and immediately proved his mettle.
Attacking midfielder Jesse Lingard (pictured) may also have been part of the Red Devils’ hard-hitting kill
However, apart from 23 goals in all competitions in 2019-20, Martial has regularly struggled to hit the back of the net and has scored only four Premier League goals in the last campaign – his combined six years at the club. – Lowest total.
Attacking midfielder Lingard peaked as a United player in 2017-18, scoring 13 goals and starring in England’s race to the World Cup semi-finals in Russia.
But after two seasons, he was farmed on loan to West Ham, where he reignited his Premier League career, scoring nine goals and five assists in just 16 appearances and helping the Hammers qualify for Europe. Of.
Lingard was set to rejoin West Ham on a permanent deal this summer but was assured by Solskjaer that he was part of his first-team plans.
Netherlands midfielder Donny van de Beek is also understood to be on the chopping block
The 28-year-old has only 28 minutes of league action this season, and gifted the Young Boys last-gap winners in last week’s Champions League tie, and now he seems to be out of the long-term picture.
Meanwhile, Netherlands international van de Beek has just five minutes of playing time under his belt in the Premier League.
Despite the 24-year-old’s professionalism, positive attitude and strong work ethic, and Solskjaer making right noises about the former Ajax midfielder’s physical and mental adaptation to the Premier League, he may well have left the club.
Meanwhile, the signing of Rafael Varane has dented Bailey and Jones’ first-team prospects.
Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer reportedly keen to sell players to boost his transfer
With Verne and captain Harry Maguire clearly the first-choice pair and Victor Lindelof providing backup, the out-of-the-ever pairing is unlikely to see first-team action – it was the Ivorian’s deal in April on a new three-year deal. Despite signing
Jones has barely played the last two seasons due to frequent injuries and loss of form, with Axel Tuanzebe – on loan at Aston Villa – and highly-rated youngster Teden Mengi considered a potentially adequate backup option.
Solskjaer is also reportedly set to sell back-up full-backs Diogo Dalot and Alex Telles.
Apart from first-team Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Luke Shaw and the versatile 21-year-old Brandon Williams, who is on loan at Norwich, there is no other cover at full-back, meaning right back Dalot and left back tails will have to Will be replaced when sold.