Michelin-starred restaurant ‘reduced to ashes’ in blaze at 14th century building

- Advertisement -


The ceiling of a Michelin-starred restaurant in a 14th-century building “scorched to ashes” after it went up in flames.

- Advertisement -

Dozens of firefighters tried to put out the blaze at The Star Inn in Harome, North Yorkshire, after the fire broke out around 10 p.m. on Wednesday.

The exact extent of the damage remained unknown as of Thursday morning, but owner-chef Andrew Pern said the original frame of the building was “just gone”.

advertisement

talking to bbc radio york, he continued: “It’s one of the risks that comes with a pallet property, once it took hold it didn’t really stand a chance.”

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said nine fire tenders were dispatched to the scene after restaurant staff reported the blaze. The reason remains unknown.

- Advertisement -

A spokesman said: “Everyone at the property was out when the crew arrived.

“Nine equipment, an aerial ladder platform, a water burdener, a welfare unit and an incident command unit were present at the peak of the incident.”

The Star at Harome has regularly featured on lists of the best restaurants and gastropubs since the arrival of Mr. Pern over 25 years ago.

The Michelin Guide describes the place as “oozing character with its low-beamed ceilings”, while adding diners will “dine regularly over a pint of bespoke to chef’s beer at the character bar”.

Fellow Michelin-star chef Tommy Banks, who owns nearby Black Swan in Oldstead, said the news of the fire was “devastating.”

“Our thoughts are with Andrew and the entire team,” he tweeted.

,

Credit: www.independent.co.uk /

- Advertisement -
Mail Us For  DMCA / Credit  Notice

Recent Articles

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox

Related Stories