The business secretary has said that more than 90% of people who lost power due to Hurricane Arwen have restored their supplies, but 45,000 are still in the dark.
The Energy Networks Association (ENA) said on Tuesday afternoon that thousands of engineers in northern England and Scotland fixed the fault, but those still affected should “make alternative arrangements for housing”.
Kwasi Quarteng tweeted that teams are “working tirelessly to restore power to affected areas”, adding: “Operators have assured me they are doing everything possible to prioritize those vulnerable and who have been without electricity for a long time.”
An ENA spokesperson said: “Supporting and re-engaging customers is our absolute priority and our customer team is working round the clock to contact customers and keep them informed.
“We are also working with other utilities, local authorities, emergency services and the British Red Cross to support this effort.”
Earlier on Tuesday, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he was “extremely sympathetic” to those affected by the power cuts.
“It must be horrifying. I think a million homes went out of power and 950,000 saw that power is now restored, but clearly that’s not enough for 50,000 people, and I want to reassure everyone That we are working as hard as we can to get electricity back to those homes.
“All I can say is that the gust was going at 100 mph and speaking to the people operating the grid, that they say they absolutely had to restore power, Northern PowerGrid to fix it.” And talk to everyone else.
“I appreciate that this must be a very difficult time for homes that are currently without electricity.”
Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon posted a series of tweets on Tuesday afternoon, saying: “The storm caused – and is still causing – significant challenges and hardships for many people and communities.
“The impact is very severe for the approximately 17,000 still without electricity in Scotland.
“I understand how disturbing this is and my thoughts are with those who are facing an almost unbearable situation.
“Please rest assured that efforts are on to reconnect people as soon as possible.”
MPs heard Northern PowerGrid believe the damage is “much more widespread than it initially felt”, with Conservative MP Richard Holden (North West Durham) warning that some homes are “potentially without electricity”. Facing the week”.
He said: “This morning we were informed by Northern PowerGrid that the damage is more extensive than was initially felt, with some homes potentially facing weeks without electricity.
“My understanding is BEIS (Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy) has offered military assistance to civilian authorities (MACA) this weekend, but Northern POWERGRID refused.”
Stephen Dixon of the Met Office said that the weather will “cool down” due to a northerly wind from Wednesday, adding: “Winds will be particularly high in exposed coastal areas to the north and northeast, with gusts of more than 40 mph. have hope.
“In cold conditions some snow falls in the high plains of the far north, and usually hail or rain in the lowlands.
“That theme continues on Thursday, with a strip of rain rolling in from the west later in the day.”
Forestry England urged people to stay away from the forest in much of northern England after Hurricane Arwen.
Credit: www.independent.co.uk /