The suspect initially made several “bizarre” statements to investigators after the accident, but was declared competent for trial last month.
A Minnesota man charged with driving into a group of demonstrators in June, killing a woman and injuring three others, was reportedly charged with murder the following March, weeks after a judge declared him fit. will be prosecuted for
Nicholas Cross, 35, allegedly plowed through a Minneapolis square on June 13 into a group protesting the sub-involved shooting of Winston Boogie Smith Jr. by a US Marshals Task Force last summer.
Cross reportedly crashed into the car of protester Devna Marie Najdek, which was later pushed into her and other demonstrators. The 31-year-old mother later died in hospital due to injuries.
The defendant was charged with two counts of intentional manslaughter of the second degree and intentional assault of the second degree. His trial is scheduled to begin on March 21 Granthshala 9 in Minneapolis.
Police say pregnant Georgia nurse dies after ‘targeted’ drive-by shooting
An affidavit said he initially made several “bizarre” statements to investigators after the accident.
Cross told police that his names were Jesus Christ and Tim Burton, that he had been a carpenter for 2,000 years, and that he wanted to bring his children to the Super Bowl, the filing says.
As the Star Tribune reports in Minneapolis, he asked investigators to “tell his dead mother that he doesn’t like her.”
Cross admitted to being the driver several times and leading the group, according to Newspaper.
A judge found Cross competent to stand trial in Hennepin County last month, which the prosecution and defense did not object to.
Granthshala News’ Danielle Wallace contributed to this report.