Mum was raped & murdered by shoe fetish killer… I fear he’ll kill again if freed

- Advertisement -

When Secretary Wendy Speaks didn’t turn up for work, her boss went to her house to check on her – and stumbled upon a scene of horrific massacre.

- Advertisement -

Wakefield, 51, was tied up, raped and stabbed 11 times by a hermit killer with a sick shoe fetish, who put her on a pair of charity shop mules before launching his brutal assault.

Wendy speaks with daughter Tracy at their 1992 weddingcredit: SWNS
Christopher Farrow forced his way into Wendy's house before killing her

Christopher Farrow forced his way into Wendy’s house before killing hercredit: Alamy

It was six years before Leeds printer Christopher Farrow was hunted down and sentenced to 18 years in prison for the 1994 murder.


Chilling, he told police that he had killed stranger Wendy because he had an argument with his girlfriend, adding that, “somebody was going to get it that day”.

The murder of the much-loved mum-of-two in this week’s episode of Murdertown, which airs Mondays on Crime + Investigation.

- Advertisement -

In an emotional interview, Wendy’s daughter Tracy Millington-Jones explains that she misses her mother every day.

And after campaigning to deny Farrow’s parole in 2018 and 2020, she says she will fight to keep the killer behind bars “until the day I die.”

“He’ll be 60 if he comes out now,” she says. “He can meet someone, get married, go abroad, maybe 40 years as a free man.

“There was nothing my mother could do. She was 51 years old, she never saw her granddaughter, who is 25. She missed my daughter growing up, spending the day and sharing experiences with her.

“He took all that away from us.”

forced to wear heels

Wendy Speaks, who lived alone in her terraced home in Wakefield, was a creature of habit – going to work and returning at the same time every day, working shifts at a pub and waiting as a waitress on weekends for extra cash.

Tracy, who moved to Essex in 1992 after meeting her first husband, called her mother every day without fail.

“She was kind, loving—the best mother in the world,” she says. “I could talk to him about anything. Mom, my little sister Leah and I called ourselves the Three Musketeers because we always tackled everything together.

“He didn’t earn much but we were always taken care of. She would give me her last bread and starve herself. I don’t think anyone can be more loved than my mother.”

On the night of March 14, 1994, Wendy came home from work and waited a night in front of Telly.

“She’d get home, she’d lock her doors, and then she’d be safe in her happy place,” Tracy says. “She was just a calm, happy, hardworking woman.”

But after coming home this evening, there was a knock on the door and a witness saw that she was talking to a man at the door, who was already in his slippers.

Pushing her inside the house, Christopher Farrow wields a knife and forces Wendy to wear the blue heels she bought at a charity shop before heading into the bedroom.

He used stockings, bought that day at a local shop, to tie her hands and strangled her, brutally raped her and stabbed her to death.

Farrow put a pair of her black stiletto shoes on the bedside table before sexually assaulting her and stole Wendy’s shoes from a cupboard under the stairs as a trophy.

Tracy Tells Her Story on Murdertown

Tracy Tells Her Story on Murdertown

‘I knew she was gone’

The next day, Wendy’s boss calls Tracy to say she hasn’t come to work.

“I knew right away that something was wrong because Mom was very loyal and hardworking, not the kind of woman who had to give up, and would call me if she was unwell,” she says.

Throughout the morning, an increasingly concerned Tracy called the house repeatedly, but received no answer. When he finally got the answer, it was a man’s voice.

“My first thought was that he was a doctor, and he had fallen down the stairs or got sick,” she says.

“But then he told me he was a detective inspector and I just dropped the phone and yelled at the whole office.”

Still unaware of her mother’s death, she called her husband to ask what was happening.

“During the conversation the officer referred to the mother as ‘deceased’,” she says. “My husband dropped the phone and started crying, and that’s when I found out she was gone.

“Then we had the dreadful four-hour drive to Yorkshire. We stopped at services on the way, I went to the ladies and I remember hearing this scream. I didn’t know who was yelling and then I realized it was me.”

After visiting the taped home, Tracy and her sister are taken to the police station and told that their mother has been murdered.

“The neighbor next door never heard a scream,” Tracy says.

“My mom was a strong woman and I think she would have gone in a survival position, and obeyed instead of fighting, because she had a knife in her throat. That’s why she probably thought ‘rape me and go’.

“She didn’t know he was going to kill her because if she had, she would have fought for her life and she didn’t.

“But I was told that the first knife wound would have rendered him unconscious, so he would have known that he would not have felt any pain after that.

“Plus he killed her when she was lying face down on the bed, so at least she didn’t die seeing his horrible face, which is a comfort to me.”

The family spent the next three months in a secure home as police searched for the killer, who left a fingerprint on the inside door handle, his own blood, and numerous DNA samples at the scene.

But it would take six years for him – and a provisional arrest – before he was caught.

“It was hell,” Tracy says. “I was constantly looking over my shoulder, wondering if this was anyone I knew, even someone I worked with who had seen a picture of mother on my desk and liked it. Was.

“Every other murder that happened in that time – like Rachel Nickel and Jill Dando – they had to deny a connection and you’re thinking, ‘Is this?’ Have they got that?'”

Killer ‘Had Bad Day’

It was a boast about drink-driving at a pub in Bradford in 1996 that could have led to Farrow’s arrest.

A police officer overheard her and arrested her, and she was convicted, meaning that her DNA, fingerprints and blood type were added to the police database.

Despite monthly checks on the evidence, it was four years later, in 2000, when Farrow’s name surfaced as the top match.

Arrested at a home he shared with his pregnant partner and his children, he denies murder, but facing heavy forensic evidence, he eventually confesses, telling officers that he had a “bad day” that plagued him. inspired to search.

He also reveals that he killed Wendy “as an idea”, leaving the bedroom after he realized she would be able to recognize him.

His calming statement was: “I am a rapist who committed murder, I am not a murderer who raped.”

I’m a rapist who killed, I’m not a rapist

Christopher Farrow

As the investigation progressed, other women came forward to tell of horrific encounters with Farrow, including A, a 24-year-old woman who said he knocked on her door and used her phone after following her. asked to do so, but he slammed the door in his face.

Another, Melanie Jayne, is targeted two weeks after Wendy’s murder – Farrow knocks on her door and says she is lost, needing to speak to her father and use her phone. Is. When she saw her feet moving towards him, she got scared and slammed the door.

Because of this pattern of behavior, Tracy believes her mother may not be the only victim.

“You not only wake up and find someone murdered, you make up for him, so I believe he committed a lot of crimes,” she says.

“In those days, the DNA technology wasn’t great and the police weren’t able to tie him to other attacks, but he was at a woman’s door two weeks after the mother was murdered, so you can’t tell me she was free for six years.” He didn’t kill or rape again.”

Farrow was sentenced in November to 18 years for the rape, sexual assault and murder of Wendy and four years for attempted theft of woman A.

But as the sentences went along, Farrow was up for parole in 2018.

“The police told me at the time of his sentencing that he would never come out because he was so evil and I was reassured by that,” she says.

“For 18 years I thought I was fine. I lived my life, I got married, I had a baby, I was really happy. I lived life knowing that my mother wanted me too, so I was not letting it eat me.

“The only time I stumbled and needed help, counseling and support was when the parole board heard, and there were chances that he would go free.”

Tracy enlists a criminal profiler who analyzed letters she wrote to her daughter from prison and concluded that the killer had difficulty accepting his victim and did not move on, meaning the same stress and tension for women. The attitude will still be there.

He also asked the police to open lines of investigation into other possible crimes, in the hope that new cases would be brought against him.

“I believe he is a multiple felon and my concern is that he is going to do it again, as soon as he is out,” she says.

“This man went out with a murder kit and took a murder trophy, a pair of my mother’s shoes.

“He never said sorry, he never showed any remorse.

“I will fight for his release till the day I die because I know he will kill again when they take him out.

“Then it will be someone else who has to go through everything I’ve done.”

Tracy believes that Farrow would have received a more severe punishment if he had been sentenced today.

“If he was caught today, he would have life without parole, like Wayne Coozens, the murderer of Sarah Everard,” she says.

“Life without parole, when it is first degree murder, should be met by all murderers in this country.”

Farrow’s parole will be reviewed every two years and Tracy says the constant fighting means she can’t properly grieve for her mother and may be locked up.

“I decided long ago…

- Advertisement -
Mail Us For  DMCA / Credit  Notice

Recent Articles

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox

Related Stories