NASA’s Lucy mission will launch this weekend! $981 MILLION spacecraft will swing past eight different asteroids during its 12-year journey through the solar system 

- Advertisement -


  • NASA’s Lucy Mission Will Travel to Detect Trojan Asteroids Captured by Jupiter
  • These ancient asteroids are ‘time capsules from the birth of the solar system’
  • Scientists say that they will give information about how the planets first formed?
  • It will launch on Saturday, October 16 at 05:34 ET (10:34 BST) on a United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida.

- Advertisement -

NASA’s Lucy mission will launch this week, beginning a 12-year journey through the solar system that will include a swing-by of eight different asteroids.

According to NASA scientists at Goddard Space Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, the spacecraft will be the first to visit the so-called Trojan asteroids that orbit Jupiter and are a ‘time capsule from the birth of our solar system’.

advertisement

The $981 million (£715 million) mission takes its name from a fossil human ancestor, nicknamed ‘Lucy’ by its discoverers, whose skeleton provided unique insights into our evolution.

NASA says the Lucy space mission will revolutionize our knowledge of the origins of planets and the formation of the Solar System, providing insights into the evolution of planets.

- Advertisement -

It is scheduled to launch on Saturday, October 16 at 05:34 ET (10:34 BST) on a United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida.

It also has a plaque that includes quotes from the likes of Carl Sagan, Albert Einstein, and the Beatles.

NASA’s Lucy mission will launch this week, beginning a 12-year journey through the solar system that will include a swing-by of eight different Jupiter-orbiting asteroids

It is scheduled to launch on Saturday, October 16 at 05:34 ET (10:34 BST) on a United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida.

It is scheduled to launch on Saturday, October 16 at 05:34 ET (10:34 BST) on a United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida.

Tools on Board Lucy

Lucy will cover a distance of more than 46 feet (14 m) from tip to tip, but most of that is giant solar panels.

Each panel is over 24 feet (about 7 meters) in diameter.

These are needed to power Lucy as it flies into Jupiter’s orbit.

Lucy Thermal Emission Spectrometer (L’TES)

This is an instrument manufactured by Arizona State University in Tempe, Arizona.

It will measure the surface temperature of asteroids by looking at the infrared spectrum.

Doing so will help astronomers understand the physical properties of surface materials.

Lucy Long Range Reconnaissance Imager (L’LORRI)

This is a high resolution, panchromatic visualization camera built by the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel, Maryland.

L’LORRI will provide the most detailed images of the surface of Trojan asteroids.

l’ralfo

It is an instrument provided by NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland.

It consists of two parts:

L’Ralph Linear Etalon Imaging Spectral Array (LEISA)

It is an infrared imaging spectrometer that will reveal absorption lines that serve as fingerprints for the various silicates, ice and organics that may be on the surface of Trojan asteroids.

L’Ralph Multi-spectral Visible Imaging Camera (MVIC)

This will help color images of the Trojans determine their composition.

advertisement

Lucy will launch on top of a rocket originally designed to launch the Boeing Starliner uncrewed test flight, which was canceled due to ongoing issues.

To make it work, NASA had to replace the booster, removing the two solid rocket motors and changing features designed to work with the crew capsule.

John Alban, ULA’s chief operating officer, said of the change, “I think overall it ended in a position that worked out really well.”

There’s a three-week launch window, but the Lucy team hopes to be able to go on Saturday morning, as is currently scheduled.

Once launched, Lucy will fly twice around Earth to adjust its trajectory and take it to the outer reaches of the Solar System.

Its first asteroid visit will take place in April 2025, when it will take a look at a main-belt asteroid named Donald Johansson.

Meanwhile the first Trojan asteroid flyby won’t happen until the next two years, when Lucy gets closer to Jupiter in August 2027.

Most of the asteroid visits will take place in 2027 and 2028, with the last asteroid flyby scheduled for March 2033.

As well as seeing some of the oldest rocks in the Solar System, Lucy’s path will cross Earth three times, as it uses our planet’s gravity to aid its position.

The move would make it the first spacecraft to return to Earth from the outer solar system, as all others are either still going – in the case of the Viking probe – or burned up in the gas giant’s atmosphere, as was the case with Cassini and Saturn. with.

The Lucy mission probe is 51.8 feet wide and 46 feet from top to bottom, and is equipped with solar panels on each side that help power its instruments.

These instruments include a color visible imager, a thermal emission spectrometer and an infrared imaging spectrometer.

The Thermal Emission Spectrometer, known as L’TES, will measure the surface temperature of Trojan asteroids by observing the thermal infrared spectrum to help understand the physical properties of surface materials.

The Lucy Long Range Reconnaissance Imager (L’LORRI), is a high-resolution visual camera that will provide the most detailed images of the asteroid’s surface.

There are currently over 4,800 known Trojan asteroids, of which 65 percent are in the L4 group, while the other 35 percent are in the L5 group.

There are currently over 4,800 known Trojan asteroids, of which 65 percent are in the L4 group, while the other 35 percent are in the L5 group.

Trojan asteroids are known as the 'fossils' of the early Solar System because they are composed of ancient material that was around the time the planets were formed.

Trojan asteroids are known as the ‘fossils’ of the early Solar System because they are composed of ancient material that was around the time the planets were formed.

Then there’s L’Ralph, the last of the three instruments, which will reveal absorption lines that serve as fingerprints for the various silicates, ice and organics that may be on the surface of Trojan asteroids.

L’Ralph also has a visual imaging camera that will take color photos of asteroids…

.

- Advertisement -
Mail Us For  DMCA / Credit  Notice

Recent Articles

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox

Related Stories