Halifax – New Brunswick is announcing two more deaths related to COVID-19 on Sunday, bringing the total death toll from the disease in the province to 66.

- Advertisement -

The latest deaths include a man in his 70s in the St John area (Zone 2) and a man in his 50s in the Edmundston area (Zone 4).

“Two more deaths from COVID-19 are sad news and Marcia and I extend our condolences to the families of those involved,” Premier Blaine Higgs said in a news release. “The measures taken in the imperative order are intended to reduce the spread and we need to follow them for every person in New Brunswick dealing with the virus. Get vaccinated and follow the measures and we will soon see a steady improvement.”

advertisement

“The news of two more deaths in our province from this virus is heartbreaking and my condolences to their families today,” Dr Jennifer Russell, the Chief Medical Office of Health, said in a news release. “In this fourth wave, we have seen a large number of cases from private gatherings. Limiting those gatherings to 20 as mandated helps reduce the spread and improve our contact tracing. ”

The province has reported 10 COVID-19 related deaths since Tuesday, 28 September.

- Advertisement -

93 new cases on Sunday

Health officials in New Brunswick are also reporting 93 new cases of COVID-19, along with 96 recoveries on Saturday, as the total number of active cases in the province dropped to 759.

According to health officials, of Sunday’s 93 new cases, 67 per cent have not been fully vaccinated, 13 per cent have been partially vaccinated and 20 per cent have been fully vaccinated.

The province says there are currently 45 people in hospital in New Brunswick due to COVID-19, 20 of whom are in an intensive care unit. Of those currently hospitalized, 35 have not been vaccinated and 10 have been either partially or fully vaccinated.

In a news release, NB Health says that contact tracing since Friday has determined that many private gatherings result in transmission of the virus, particularly among unconnected people.

According to the province, those events – which include hunting parties, prayer groups, birthday parties, private funerals and backyard weddings – have resulted in new cases in various locations across the province.

Ten new cases were reported in the Moncton area (Zone 1), including:

  • Four people 19 years and under

  • two guys in their 20s

  • two guys in their 30s

  • a man in his 40s

  • a man in his 50s

Eight cases are under investigation and two are contacts of already confirmed cases.

Five new cases were reported in the St John area (Zone 2):

  • Two people 19 years and under

  • two guys in the 60s

  • a man in his 70s

All five cases are contacts of previously confirmed cases.

Twenty-nine new cases were reported in the Fredericton area (Zone 3), including:

  • Nine people 19 years and under

  • two guys in their 20s

  • six people in their 30s

  • a man in his 40s

  • four guys in their 50s

  • a man in his 60s

  • Five Guys in the 70s

  • A person age 90 and above

Twenty one cases are under investigation and eight cases are contacts of already confirmed cases.

Twenty-nine new cases were reported in the Edmundston area (Zone 4), including:

  • Six people aged 19 years and under

  • three guys in their 20s

  • their 30s. eight people in

  • seven people in their 40s

  • three guys in their 50s

  • two guys in the 60s

Sixteen cases are contacts of already confirmed cases and 13 are under investigation.

Six new cases were reported in the Campbelton area (Zone 5), including:

  • Two people 19 years and under

  • a man in his 20s

  • two guys in their 30s

  • A person age 90 and above

Five cases are contacts of already confirmed cases and one is being investigated.

Nine new cases were reported in the Bathurst area (Zone 6), including:

  • Two people 19 years and under

  • five people in their 30s

  • a man in his 50s

  • a man in his 80s

Seven cases are under investigation and two are contacts of already confirmed cases.

Five new cases were reported in Miramichi area (Zone 7):

  • a person who is 19 years of age and under

  • two guys in their 20s

  • their 30s. a person in

  • a man in the 90s

Three cases are contacts of already confirmed cases and two are under investigation.

COVID-19 Case Data

There have been 4,505 cumulative cases of COVID-19 in New Brunswick since the start of the pandemic.

A total of 3,679 people have been cured of Kovid-19 in the state and 56 people have died.

Public Health says a total of 469,864 COVID-19 tests have been processed since the start of the pandemic.

The number of cases is broken down by New Brunswick’s seven health areas:

  • Zone 1 – Moncton area: 1,206 confirmed cases (221 active cases)

  • Zone 2 – St. John’s Zone: 423 confirmed cases (51 active cases)

  • Zone 3 – Fredericton area: 980 confirmed cases (203 active cases)

  • Zone 4 – Edmundston area: 1,134 confirmed cases (182 active cases)

  • Zone 5 – Campbelton area: 432 confirmed cases (53 active cases)

  • Zone 6 – Bathurst area: 221 confirmed cases (28 active cases)

  • Zone 7 – Miramichi Zone: 109 confirmed cases (21 active cases)

Vaccine Update

As of Sunday, 80.5 percent of New Brunswickers age 12 and older have been fully vaccinated and 89.5 percent have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine.

In total, 1,183,436 vaccine doses have been given in New Brunswick.

All eligible New Brunswickers can book their second dose appointment now for a date at least 28 days after their first dose.

potential public exposure

Anyone with symptoms of the virus, as well as anyone who has been at a site of potential public exposure, is urged to call tele-care at 811 to request an online test or make an appointment.