Police said a Danish man, who is in custody in Norway, who is suspected of a bow-and-arrow attack in which five people were killed, is a Muslim convert who has previously been marked as being radicalized, police said. Yes, the police said.
“There was already concern about this man being radicalised,” police chief Ole B Severud told a news conference on Thursday.
Police also gave more details about the victims, revealing that they were four women and one man, aged between 50 and 70.
The suspect is believed to have shot people at several places in the city of Kongsberg on Wednesday evening. Police were called to the city center south-west of Oslo after the attack began around 6.15 pm.
Police said five people killed as well as two others are in intensive care, including an officer who was off duty and inside the shop where the attack took place.
“The person who committed this act has been arrested by the police, and there is no active search for more people. Based on the information we have, one person is behind this.
Police said the accused man is a 37-year-old Danish national who lives in Kongsberg. He also said that apart from the bow and arrow, additional weapons were used.
The police chief confirmed that there was a confrontation with the suspect when he tried to escape before being arrested.
Officials said investigations were underway to find out whether the attack was linked to terrorism.
Kongsberg Town Mayor Kari Anne Sand told TV2 it was “a gruesome incident”.
“There is nothing more to say. Now we must try to take care of the residents as much as we can.”
The designated prime minister, Jonas Gahr Storey, who is expected to take office on Thursday, called the attack “a brutal and brutal act” in comments to Norwegian news agency NTB.
Acting Prime Minister Erna Solberg described the attack as “horrific” and said it was too early to speculate about the man’s motive.
In response, police officials said they had immediately ordered officers nationwide to carry firearms. Norwegian police are usually unarmed but officers have guns and rifles when needed.
“This is an additional precaution. The police have so far no indication that there has been any change in the national threat level,” the directorate said in a statement.
The Aftenposten newspaper quoted police as saying that the attacks took place 66 km (41 mi) south-west of Oslo in “a large area” of Kongsberg, a municipality of about 28,000 people, including the Kop Extra grocery store. .
A woman who lived near the shop said she heard the alarm sound when she was on her way home.
“I saw a group of police officers, one with several arrows in his hand,” the woman, Marit Höfle, told the newspaper.
Police attorney Ann Irene Sven Mathiassen told news agency NTB that the suspect was “accepting the facts of the case”.
“We have to see if he is guilty too,” she said.
Defense attorney Fredrik Neumann said he was “cooperating” with police.
Norway had the worst death toll in any attack since 2011, when right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people, most of them teenagers, in the youth camp.
District police chief Oyvind Aas said, “This very serious situation is certainly having a deep impact on Kongsberg and the people living here.”
Investigators are expected to provide more details about the incident later on Thursday.
Credit: www.independent.co.uk /