Investigations continue after five people were killed and two others injured in a bow-and-arrow attack in Kongsberg, Norway.
Police have confirmed that a 37-year-old man living in Kongsberg, a Muslim convert who had previously been flagged for showing signs of radicalization. He has been charged in connection with the attacks and is in police custody.
The attack shook the entire nation, as police revealed that four of those killed were women. All the victims were between 50 and 70 years old.
One of the two injured is said to be an off-duty officer. Both are being treated in the hospital.
Police received multiple reports of a man shooting at people with a bow and arrow at the town center at 6.12 pm on Wednesday and arrived at the scene just before 6.30 pm (4.30 pm GMT). The attack is said to have started in the Cop supermarket.
Police confirmed that there had been an initial confrontation with the suspect at 18.18, but then he escaped by shooting several arrows at the officers. It was 29 minutes between the police’s initial confrontation with the man and his final arrest at 6.47 pm. According to police, the killings “probably” happened after initial contact with the attacker.
“The person who committed this act has been arrested by the police, and there is no active search for more people. Based on the information we have, one person is behind this.
Who is the suspect?
Police confirmed the arrest of a 37-year-old Danish man in connection with the attack. According to officials, he had been a resident of Kongsberg for many years and knew the police.
After converting to Islam, the authorities were in touch with him earlier regarding signs of radicalization. The suspect had a Danish mother and a Norwegian father.
The police interrogated the man for hours throughout the night and he is in custody. Police Attorney Ann Irene Sven Mathiassen told news agency NTB that the suspect was “accepting the facts of the case”.
“We have to see if he is guilty too,” she said. Defense attorney Fredrik Neumann said he was “cooperating” with police.
According to the police additional weapons were used in the attack and it is also being investigated whether the attack was linked to terror, but so far the police have not implicated anyone else in the attack.
Who were the victims?
The victims of the attack have been confirmed as four women and one man between the ages of 50 and 70 years. He has not been formally identified yet.
According to the police, their families have been informed and they are being supported.
An off-duty police officer is believed to be one of two additional victims in intensive care following the attack.
Aftenposten newspaper quoted police as saying that the attacks took place 66 km (41 mi) south-west of Oslo on “a large area” of Kongsberg, a municipality of about 28,000 people, which includes the Kop Extra grocery store.
what happens next?
The investigation into the attack is still ongoing while the suspect is in custody. Police said the matter was being handled in “multiple tracks” without further elaboration.
The attack took place on the last day of Erna Solberg’s conservative government, and a new justice minister took over the case on Thursday under a centre-left coalition led by Labor leader Jonas Gahr Store.
The designated prime minister, Jonas Gahr Storey, who is expected to take office on Thursday, called the attack “a brutal and brutal act” in comments to Norwegian news agency NTB.
Credit: www.independent.co.uk /