TORONTO – A government employee is among two people charged after an investigation into a security breach related to Ontario’s COVID-19 vaccination system.
The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) say they were first asked to investigate the violations on November 17, after the government received reports of spam text messages received by individuals who had scheduled appointments or had COVID-19. Vaccine certificate was obtained through the -19 vaccination system.
On Monday, the solicitor general’s office told Granthshala News Toronto that the security breach had been publicly confirmed that the reported texts were “financial in nature.”
Granthshala News Toronto spoke to two residents who received phishing text messages they believe may be related to the breach. Both messages were addressed to their children by their full names.
“The thing that really triggered him for me was the spelling of his name. It was his name, his full name with middle name, and his middle name fully capitalized and the only time I’ve seen him The vaccine was on the passport,” said Toronto resident Carla Embleton.
Ottawa resident Mike Primo said he received a similar text on his cell phone saying his son had been sent a “reimbursement of $163.36” and asked to respond to receive payment.
Primau was the one who got his entire family – including his son – registered for the COVID-19 vaccine.
Many others reported receiving text messages with their full names or the full names of their children; However the requests were slightly different.
In a news release issued Tuesday, investigators said two search warrants in connection with the security breach—one in Quebec and the other in Ottawa—were executed on November 22. Several equipment, computers and laptops were seized.
As a result of the investigation, Gloucester resident Ayub Saeed, 21, and Rahim Abdu Vaudreuil-Dorio, 22, were taken into custody.
They were both charged with unauthorized use of the computer, unlike S. 342.1(1)(c) of the Criminal Code.
Police say Syed was an employee of the Government of Ontario and the Ministry of Consumer Services at the Vaccine Contact Center.
“After a swift and thorough investigation, which involved both internal and external experts, the OPP has charged a person who worked in a vaccine booking call center through a third party vendor, but is no longer employed by the government. A spokesperson said. Solicitor General said.
“This investigation confirmed that no personal health information was accessed, and that Ontario’s COVID-19 vaccine booking system remains secure and remains a secure tool for Ontario use.”
The charges have not been proved in court.
OPP warned that members of the public should always be suspicious of text messages asking for financial or personal information. Anyone who suspects fraudulent activity should report it to the Anti-Fraud Center of Canada online or by calling 1-888-495-8501.