TORONTO – Ontario Premier Doug Ford says his government is currently finalizing its plans to exit the final phase of its reopening plan to “carefully lift public health measures”.
The premier made the remarks during a news conference on Friday, which formally announced the launch of the province’s new advanced COVID-19 vaccine verification app and QR code system.
He said the exit plan will be revealed sometime next week, and will provide clear guidelines with dates and timelines to allow businesses and Ontario residents a better idea of what to expect in the coming months.
“Work began months ago and we are now finalizing plans, including where and when we might need measures to stop the transmission boom,” Ford told reporters on Friday.
“The Chief Medical Officer of Health is clear. The aim is to avoid further lockdowns, and if additional measures are necessary, they will be localised, tailored and targeted with the aim of limiting disruption to businesses and households as it is not just for the short term, but for the long term. plan is. “
Sources with knowledge of the plan told Granthshala News Toronto earlier this week that the province is working on a phase three strategy, which would remove capacity limits on businesses where vaccine certificates are required.
Last week, restaurants and bars slammed the province after Ontario was taken out of the list of places that were allowed to operate at full capacity again.
Ford said the decision came from the provincial health table and Ontario’s chief medical officer of health, Dr. Kieran Moore, who at the time agreed to hold off on further extensions. Ford said a plan for the restaurant industry would be announced next week.
“We’re going to the restaurant. We’re going to have a comprehensive plan that will stand the test of time.” “I’m not going to rush it because anything you do in this pandemic and you hurry, it could backfire on you, but we have a comprehensive plan that we’re starting next week.”
Moore said the province’s plan would contain information on dates and timelines for reopening the economy.
New Advanced Vaccine Certificate Program launched today
Premier Ford on Friday formally launched Ontario’s COVID-19 vaccine verification app and QR code system.
While businesses can download the new free app now, some Ontario residents won’t be able to download the enhanced certificate with QR code until later this week because it will initially be available only in cohorts based on date of birth.
“Together, the enhanced Certifications and Verify Ontario app will make it easier and more secure for Ontario people to show proof of their vaccine,” Ford told reporters Friday.
How to Use Ontario’s New Vaccine Verification App and QR Codes
“Starting today, individuals born in January, February, March and April can log in to Ontario’s Vaccine Portal to download their advanced certificate, which now includes their official QR code.”
Over the next few days, the province will allow people with a later date of birth to access the portal. The portal will be open for all on October 18.
Beginning September 22, residents of the province are required to have proof of vaccination to visit certain non-essential businesses and services in Ontario.
For nearly a month, residents have been using a COVID-19 receipt and government identification to prove their vaccination status, but now they’ll be able to use advanced QR codes that businesses can scan with the new app. can.
Currently, people need to be fully vaccinated to enter gyms, indoor restaurants, movie theaters, indoor meeting and event spaces, sports venues and concert halls.
“[These certificates] This means we have the best chance of avoiding going back into lockdown which no one wants. Like the vaccine rollout, we asked Ontarians to pull together and you have responded once again,” Ford said on Friday.
“We are doing well because our approach was cautious and built on the advice of our public health experts. We have seen what happens in other provinces that move quickly and the consequences can be disastrous. ”