Oxford, I. (Granthshala 2) , Three high school students were shot dead inside Oxford High School and eight others are in hospital after a school shooting in Oxford, Michigan. As police work to learn more about the shooter, the Oakland County Sheriff has released more information about the victims.
Here’s what we know about the victims of the tragedy.
Who was the victim of the Oxford High School shooting?
17-year-old Madison Baldwin, 16-year-old Tate Myere and 14-year-old Hana St Juliana were identified as the three Oxford High School students killed on Tuesday.
During a press briefing Tuesday evening, Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard gave more details about the three victims of the shooting.
- 16-year-old Tate Myere died inside a patrol car while the deputy was taking her to the hospital
- 14 year old Hana St. Juliana
- 17 year old Madison Baldwin
- 17-year-old Justin Schilling
Bouchard did not elaborate on where St. Julian and Baldwin died.
Bouchard also gave more details about the other eight victims, who are alive and being treated as of 10:30 p.m. Tuesday:
- One of the victims is a 15-year-old boy with a gunshot wound to the head. His condition is critical.
- Another victim is a 14-year-old boy who has been shot in the head and jaw. His condition is serious.
- The condition of the 17-year-old girl who sustained a bullet injury in the neck is stable.
- Another victim, a 15-year-old boy, was shot in the leg and is stable.
- A 47-year-old teacher has been shot.
- A 14-year-old girl is fighting for life with wounds on her chest and neck. The sheriff said he is currently on a ventilator after surgery.
- The final victim is a 17-year-old girl who was shot in the chest and is in critical condition.
Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer spoke during a 5 p.m. update and choked up several times, saying it’s every parent’s worst nightmare.
“I want to thank the promptness of our first responders. My heart goes out to all the families. This is an unimaginable tragedy,” Whitmer said.
What happened in the Oxford High School shooting?
According to the sheriff’s office, at around 12:51 pm local time, the 911 dispatch to report on the shooting at Oxford High School was flooded with hundreds of calls. Officials said the deputy responded immediately to the scene and took the suspect into custody, but not until he shot several people, killing three.
The officers recovered a semi-automatic handgun and several clips.
Around 2 p.m. local time, medical helicopters including a University of Michigan survival flight landed in the school’s parking lot as a secondary search was being conducted around the perimeter.
Suspected of shooting at Oxford High School
The sheriff said the suspect is a 15-year-old student at the school who has been taken into custody and called for his right to remain silent.
McCabe said the student, a resident of Oxford, was in school on Tuesday and went to class. He would not provide information about a motive or if victims were targeted by the shooter.
Investigators said the suspect’s father had purchased Sig Sauer, a 9mm pistol, on November 26.
On Tuesday evening, law enforcement seized several guns from the suspect’s family home on East Street near the school in Oxford Village.
McCabe said the suspect’s parents obtained a lawyer for him and told him not to speak to police.
Tonight a prayer meeting was held to remember the victims.