Parents of toddler killed by brain-eating amoeba at splash pad sue city for $1m

- Advertisement -

The parents of a three-year-old killed by a rare, mind-eating amoeba contracted at the city’s splash pad have filed a $1m wrongful death lawsuit.

- Advertisement -

In the weeks before his death, Bakri Williams died on September 11 after being hospitalized for a week after several visits to Don Mosenheimer Park in Arlington, Texas.

Her parents say that they want to spread public awareness about the cause of her tragic death.


“Goat was a loving, energetic, warm, lovable, handsome, innocent boy. He didn’t deserve to die like this,” the boy’s father, Tariq Williams, told reporters.

“For us, this matter is about public awareness. The last thing we want is for someone else and their family to feel and feel what we’re going through at the moment. “

- Advertisement -

His mother, Kayla Mitchell, said the goat loved playing on the splash pad and was full of energy, but the day after her last visit she developed a 102-degree fever and didn’t even have the strength to go to the bathroom herself.

“From there it looked like he didn’t want to eat. He didn’t want to drink. All he wanted to do was lay down, so I automatically knew there was something wrong and then because as I said he was a Very active kid,” said Ms. Michel.

The goat was taken to Cook Children’s Hospital and water samples were sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for testing.

Test results showed the presence of the Naegleria fowleri amoeba, which is commonly found in warm freshwater lakes and streams, but can also appear in pools and water parks if they are not properly maintained or chlorinated.

Fox 4 Reports that Arlington Mayor Jim Ross has admitted to splash pad maintenance errors.

The city previously said that parks and recreation staff did not consistently record, or in some cases require, daily water quality tests at the two locations.

One of them was Don Meisenheimer Park, the other Beacon Recreation Center. All splash pads operating in the city have been closed.

Family lawyer Stephen Stewart said: “We don’t want another innocent child to die of a brain-eating amoeba. That crazy brain-eating amoeba is coming out of my mouth. A little chlorine and this kid would have been here today.”

Fellow attorney Brian Hargrove said: “The City of Arlington is responsible for the goat’s death. The goat’s death could have been 100% preventable. We are here today because the City of Arlington has decided to ignore the safety rules that we all have.” protect.”

“The goat’s parents don’t want another innocent child to suffer the goat’s death,” Stewart said.

In addition to the more than $1m in damages sought, the lawsuit also asks the city to comply with state guidelines for water park safety.

The city has yet to officially comment on the lawsuit.


Credit: /

- Advertisement -
Mail Us For  DMCA / Credit  Notice

Recent Articles

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox

Related Stories