Parts of Atlantic Canada cleaning up after three days of heavy rain and powerful wind

- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -

A surfer heads towards the water on November 23 in Cow Bay, NS.Andrew Vaughan / The Canadian Press

On Thursday, workers working in eastern Nova Scotia and southwestern Newfoundland to repair roads, bridges and culverts lashed parts of the region for three days.


About 30 roads and bridges were closed in Nova Scotia on Wednesday until the rain stopped. Most of the damage was recorded in Antigonish County in northeastern Nova Scotia and in Victoria and Inverness Counties in northern Cape Breton.

Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston said Thursday that the storm had caused significant damage. “It’s probably at least $7 million, so it will trigger federal programming,” Houston told reporters. “There’s a lot of work to be done to rebuild, repair, restore.”

- Advertisement -

Some communities along Cape Breton’s northeastern shore received more than 200 millimeters of rain, and several washouts forced the closure of sections of the scenic Cabot Trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park.

In the Ingonish River, NS, on the east side of the Cabot Trail, flooding and washouts were reported amid heavy rains, causing 278 mm of rain to fall on the small community. On Thursday, the road between Niels Harbor and Ingonish remained impassable, Parks Canada said.

“This week’s storm has severely affected our province, our people and our transportation infrastructure,” Nova Scotia’s Acting Public Works Minister Alan McMaster said in a statement. “Our first priority is to make sure people are safe, so please get in touch with your neighbours, especially seniors.”

McMaster asked residents of the affected areas to stay off the roads. “I know that Nova Scotians will do what they always do – come together, help your neighbors and get through this as a community,” he said.

In the Port aux Basque area of ​​southwestern Newfoundland, repairs are underway on several roads, including the Trans-Canada Highway, and a helicopter was used to rescue stranded residents on Wednesday.

With the city cut off from the rest of the island, resident Robert Hinks said supplies are running low in the area.

“There’s no bread in town right now, no eggs to buy, fresh milk is running out,” Hinkes said in an interview Thursday. “People are going to gas stations and gasping for fear of running out of gas,[but]you can’t go anywhere anyway.”

Meanwhile, the ferry service between Port aux Basques and North Sydney, NS has been forced to reroute due to road closures. Marine Atlantic announced Thursday that it would temporarily resume crossings in eastern Newfoundland to Argentina, to ensure people and supplies can reach the province. That route is usually only offered in the summer months.

“Staff are working diligently to prepare the (Argentina) terminal to accept customers on this emergency basis,” Marine Atlantic said in a statement. The first sailing between North Sydney and Argentina was scheduled to depart on Thursday afternoon.

The storm, which was described as a long area of ​​low pressure, had stalled in this area between Monday and Wednesday. Feeding on tropical moisture in the Caribbean, it brought record amounts of rain over several communities, including Port aux Basque, where 165 mm accumulated over the past two days.

In the Codroy Valley, north of Port aux Basque, a weather station recorded 195 mm of rain. Simultaneously, a gust reached 141 kmph in the Rakehouse area.

This material appears to have been provided by the original wire service to The Granthshala. It has not been edited by Granthshala staff.


- Advertisement -
Mail Us For  DMCA / Credit  Notice

Recent Articles

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox

Related Stories