The amount of the payment offer was not specified
The Pentagon has offered condolence payments to the surviving family members of 10 innocent civilians, including seven children who were killed in an accident in Afghanistan in late August.
The August 29 strike was intended to kill ISIS-affiliated terrorists in retaliation for a terrorist bombing three days earlier that killed 13 US service members and dozens of Afghans at Kabul airport amid the chaotic Biden administration withdrawal of US troops from Asia. Were. Nation.
The civilian deaths were a “tragic mistake”, according to a Pentagon statement from Press Secretary John Kirby, under Secretary of Defense for Policy Dr. Colin Kahl said on Thursday.
The statement said Kahl reiterated that victim Zamari Ahmadi and the others killed were innocent victims who “appeared no blame and were not affiliated with ISIS-K or a threat to the US military.”
Obama’s former joint staff chief calls for accountability for failed drone strike
The amount of the payment offer was not specified.
In a virtual meeting with Kahl, Dr. Steven Kwon, Founder and President of Nutrition and Education International (NEI), spoke about Ahmadi’s years-long work with the organization, during which Ahmadi provided “care and life” to victims of war. Defense Assistance” – Torn country.
The Defense Department admitted last month that Ahmadi had no affiliation with ISIS-K, as he had previously said to the contrary.
The Biden administration admitted the mistake only after media reports questioned whether those killed were actually terrorist-affiliated, as military officials initially claimed.
Kwon said the NEI has “resolved to honor the memory of Mr Ahmadi and his family members and others killed in the strike.”
According to the Wall Street Journal, Kwon said in a statement, “Nothing can bring back Zamari or these other precious people, but we appreciate the opportunity to discuss these devastating losses in detail with senior Defense Department officials.” We do.” “We hope they will act urgently to get surviving family members and influence NEI employees to safety and help them rebuild their lives.”
The strike also called into question the US ability to conduct targeted strikes without the additional use of military intelligence capabilities on the ground, the journal reported.
“This is a terrible tragedy of war and it is heartbreaking and we are committed to being completely transparent about this incident,” Joint Chiefs of Staff General Mark Milley called the operation a “righteous strike” in September. Said after.
The Pentagon is also working to help relocate surviving family members to the US
Granthshala News’ Lucas Y. Tomlinson contributed to this report.