People could still lose homes under Boris Johnson’s social care plan, minister admits

- Advertisement -


A government minister has acknowledged that people could still lose their homes under Boris Johnson’s revised social care plans.

- Advertisement -

Speaking on Monday morning, Paul Scully said he expects no one to sell his house, but that number will certainly be “lower” than it is now.

Boris Johnson previously promised that changes to the social care system would mean no one would have to sell their homes to pay for care.

advertisement

But last week as lawmakers focused on the Westminster massacre, the government deferred changes to its proposals.

Under the revised policy, poor pensioners will, after all, not be able to calculate means-tested payments by the state for their care, for a total limit of £86,000.

- Advertisement -

The change means people with higher incomes will be more likely than those with lower incomes to benefit from the cap.

It also means that people living in more expensive homes will have nearly all of their assets protected, while those in lower value homes will lose almost everything.

When asked about the change, Mr. Scully, the trade minister, told Sky News: “There will be fewer people selling their homes and hopefully none.”

Asked if someone would have to sell their home to pay for the care, Mr. Scully replied: “I can’t tell you what individuals are going to do.

“What I’m saying is that the social care solution is about getting a threshold above which you don’t have to pay – that gives people certainty.”

Speaking before MPs’ debate and voting on the motions, Mr Scully said: “It will depend on a variety of circumstances.

,

Credit: www.independent.co.uk /

- Advertisement -
Mail Us For  DMCA / Credit  Notice

Recent Articles

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox

Related Stories