Prince Harry Says He Warned Twitter Boss About ‘Coup’ On Eve Of US Capitol Attack

- Advertisement -


Britain’s Prince Harry attends the 2021 Global Citizen Live concert in Central Park in New York, US on September 25, 2021. The picture was taken on September 25, 2021. Reuters/Caitlin Ochs
Caitlin Ochs via Reuters
- Advertisement -

Prince Harry has said he warned the boss of Twitter before the US Capitol attack that his social media platform was being used for a coup.

The Duke of Sussex was speaking during an appearance at a panel discussing misinformation in the US and said the problem pre-dated social media.

He said he had warned Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey the day before the January 6 riots that the social media giant was “allowing a coup”.

- Advertisement -

Asked whether he had spoken to Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg or Twitter CEO Dorsey, Harry said he warned that his website was facilitating a coup on the eve of the attack.

He said: “Jack and I had been emailing each other before January 6th when I warned him that his platform was allowing a coup. That email was sent the day before.

“And then it happened and I haven’t heard anything from him since then.”

A group of Donald Trump supporters stormed the US Capitol building in Washington DC over claims that the presidential election was rigged and the social media giant’s role in enabling the attack is being investigated.

Harry, who was listed as a co-founder of Archwell re-wired summit, works at the Aspen Institute think tank and looks into misinformation and propaganda in the media.

The 37-year-old, who lives in Southern California with Meghan and the couple’s two children, said the internet is “being defined by hate, division and lies”.

“It can’t be right,” he told the panel. “Especially for those who have children, we are allowing this future to be defined by the here and now. Exactly what is covetousness and profit and growth.

“I hope that as human beings, as individuals with the capacity to make choices and decisions, they will no longer worry more about the safety of the people, but also what this means for the Internet, a free Internet. But also what it means. The next generation and the next generation and that and that and that.”

In his latest spread to the British press, Harry invoked the memory of his mother Diana, Princess of Wales, and again said that his wife, the Duchess of Sussex, was being treated the same way.

He said: “They don’t report the news, they make it up and they have successfully turned fact-based news into opinion-based gossip with disastrous consequences for the country.

“So I know the story very well. I have lost my mother to this self-created rabidness and obviously I am determined not to lose my children to the mother for the same thing.”

Harry nodded to comments he made on a mental health series that appeared earlier this year, saying “they won’t stop until he dies” – a reference to Meghan.

He added: “It was more of a warning, not a challenge.”

Harry said the “scale of misinformation is now terrifying” and warned that families were being “destroyed” by the problem.

When asked whether users should delete their social media accounts, Harry said he and Meghan are not on either platform and will not return until changes are made.

He added that it is “simply not true” that the challenge of misinformation is “too big to fix, too big to solve”.

Duke said from his own experience, he and his wife are targeted by a small set of accounts.

He added: “More than 70% of hate speech about my wife on Twitter can be traced to less than 50 accounts.”

Harry said Megxit – a term used to describe the couple’s departure from royal duties – is a “wrong word” coined by an online troll before it entered mainstream usage.

,

- Advertisement -
Mail Us For  DMCA / Credit  Notice

Recent Articles

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox

Related Stories