- Advertisement -

Police announced on Wednesday that it would not launch a criminal investigation in a 1995 interview with BBC correspondent Martin Bashir Princess Diana.

The Metropolitan Police confirmed the news when officers looked at Lord Dyson’s report in a 1995 documentary that showed Bashir sitting with the late British royal.

advertisement

“In March 2021, the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) determined that it was not appropriate to launch a criminal investigation into allegations of unlawful activity in relation to a documentary broadcast in 1995,” the statement begins.

“Following the publication of Lord Dyson’s report in May, expert detectives have assessed its contents and carefully examined the law – once again seeking independent legal advice from Treasury Counsel as well as consulting the Crown Prosecution Service.

- Advertisement -

“As a result, the MPS has not identified evidence of activity that constitutes a criminal offense and will therefore not take any further action,” the statement concludes.

Martin Bashir ‘deeply sorry’ about Princess Diana BBC interview, but denies direct harm

Police previously said it did not plan to launch a criminal investigation in interviews, but confirmed that it was looking into Lord Dyson’s report after it was published.

Back in May, Bashir said he was “deeply sorry”. blast report that he used “deceitful behavior” to secure a 1995 BBC interview with Diana. However, he denies that the interview was responsible for any late damage. Royal.

“I didn’t want to harm Diana in any way and I can’t believe we did,” said the journalist Sunday Times. “Everything we did in terms of the interview was exactly what she wanted, from the time she wanted to alert the palace, when it aired, to the content of it… Me and my family love her. used to do.”

The report concluded that Bashir “commissioned bogus bank statements” that allowed him to access Diana by deceiving his brother, Charles Spencer, to arrange a meeting that Diana was later persuaded to attend in 1995. it was done. Interview.

Report says Martin Bashir used ‘deceitful behavior’ to secure interview of Princess Diana

Lord Dyson, a former High Court judge, said “this behavior was a serious violation of the 1993 edition of the BBC’s Producer Guidelines on Direct Behavior.”

Bashir admitted to showing Spencer the forged documents, which he said was “deeply sorry”, but the claims had “no bearing” on Diana or the interview.

In May, Martin Bashir said he was "deeply sorry" following reports of the bombings that he used "deceitful behavior" to secure an interview with Diana.  He resigned from his role at the BBC.

Diana famously said during the interview that “there were three of us in this marriage, so there was a bit of a rush.” Following the revelations, Queen Elizabeth II issued a statement recommending Diana and Prince Charles divorce. The marriage officially ended on August 28, 1996. On August 31, 1997, Diana died in a car accident in Paris while being chased by the paparazzi.

Diana’s sons, Princes William and Harry, have both suggested that Bashir’s interview directly contributed to the untimely death of the Princess of Wales.

“The interview was a huge contributor to the taint of my parent’s relationship and has hurt countless others since then,” Prince William said in a video statement earlier. “It is indescribably sad to learn that the BBC’s failures contributed significantly to the fear, paranoia and isolation that I remember from those final years with her. But what saddens me most is if the BBC first picked up Had the complaints and concerns been properly investigated.In 1995, my mother would have known that she had been deceived.

Diana, Princess of Wales, died in August 1997 after being injured in a Paris car accident.

Prince Harry echoed his brother’s comments in a separate statement, noting that “the ripple effects of a culture of exploitation and immoral practices eventually took his life.”

“Our mother lost her life because of this, and nothing has changed,” said Harry. “By protecting her legacy, we protect all, and maintain the dignity with which she has lived her life. Let’s remember who she was and what she stood for.”

While Bashir told the Times that he “can’t imagine what his family must feel every day,” he dismissed the Duke of Cambridge’s claim that the way the interview was obtained had led to Diana’s separation. and fueled the paranoia.

“Even in the early 1990s, there were stories and secretly recorded phone calls,” Bashir said. “I was not the source of any of that.”

Bashir said he was a young man when interviewed, and hopes he has “displayed a high level of honesty and integrity” since joining the BBC in 2016.

Bashir is since you got down issued a statement apologizing for his conduct and from his role as the BBC’s religion editor. Tony Hall, the BBC’s director of news and current affairs at the time, also resigned following the investigation.

Granthshala News’ Stephanie Nolasco contributed to this report.