- Advertisement -

Workers in Connecticut’s prison system, about a third of state employees, have failed to comply with Gov. Ned Lamont’s COVID-19 vaccine mandate, according to a report released Friday by the governor’s office.

According to the report, out of 30,623 state workers, 1,482 (about 5%) have not been submitted for vaccination or weekly testing. These include 483 employees of the state’s Department of Corrections, which has about 5,400 employees.


GOP Rep. Glen Thompson hospitalized for COVID case

- Advertisement -

The governor’s office had given the employees until October 4 to comply with the order. But the state has so far fired only 22 employees and put 29 on unpaid leave. Officials said they are in the process of suspending or sacking an additional 70 employees.

“The majority of employees who are currently out of compliance are working with the state to come into compliance and anticipate coming into compliance in the coming days,” said Lamont spokesman David Bednarz.

International community ‘complicated’ in-gain-of-function research: book

The Department of Corrections and the union representing corrections officers did not immediately respond to requests for comment by Granthshala News.

The department confirmed Friday that it has recently seen an uptick in COVID-19 cases at several prisons, including the Hartford Correctional Center, the New Haven Correctional Center and the Carl Robinson Correctional Center.

Spokesman Andreas Benevisius said most of these cases involved inmates who are asymptomatic.

According to the department’s website, 72 inmates and 56 staff members are currently being treated for symptoms associated with the virus.

The largest outbreak was reported in Hartford, where 69 inmates have recently tested positive, including 11 who are being treated at the prison system’s McDougall-Walker Medical Isolation Unit and another transferred to an outpatient hospital. It was done, Benevisius said.

He said the department has consequently suspended in-person social visits at the Hartford facility and relied on virtual chat.