Prosecutor denies claims Philadelphia train passengers recorded alleged rape

- Advertisement -


Prosecutors in Delaware have strongly denied reports that passengers who witnessed the alleged rape on a Philadelphia subway train filmed the act on their phones without interfering or calling the police.

- Advertisement -

Delaware County District Attorney Jack Stolstimer said it is “simply not true” that groups of onlookers were “ruthlessly sitting there and not acting” when the incident happened last week.

Earlier this week the Philadelphia Transportation Police denied the claims, which ignited furious media coverage when they said no 911 calls were made to the city about the incident and that witnesses were told not to stop it sooner. convicted for

advertisement

“There were other people on the train who witnessed this gruesome act, and if a rider calls 911, it may soon be stopped,” the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) said in a statement.

SEPTA Police Chief Thomas Nestle III told a news conference on Monday: “I don’t want to, and I can’t clearly guess what was on people’s minds. But from the video it looks like people keep their phones at the same time.” Were holding in the direction, in which direction it was going.”

- Advertisement -

Superintendent of Police of the Philadelphia Township of Upper Darby Timothy Bernhardt called the passengers’ actions “disturbing” and said: “In my opinion, there were too many people who should have intervened. Someone should have done something.”

Some officials even suggested that witnesses who failed to help could face criminal prosecution.

But at another conference on Thursday, An apparently disappointed Mr. Stolsteamr called this narrative “misinformation”, adding that many passengers passing through the event may not have realized what they were seeing in the regular crowd.

He said: “In my experience the people of this area are not so inhuman and harsh….”

“The picture that people have got is that the crowd of people sitting there filming and doing nothing is not true.”

He noted that a suspect in another SEPTA sexual assault Wednesday night was arrested only after a bystander alerted police, saying: “There are people like this in Delaware County. If people need help, we stand up and help.”

Prosecutors originally charged Fiston Ngoye, a 35-year-old man from the Democratic Republic of the Congo who previously pleaded guilty to a sex offense in Washington DC, of ​​rape and sexual assault over the incident last week. He is in custody on $180,000 (£131,000) bail.

.

Credit: www.independent.co.uk /

- Advertisement -
Mail Us For  DMCA / Credit  Notice

Recent Articles

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox

Related Stories