- Advertisement -

Dozens of activists protesting fossil fuel projects were arrested on Thursday after staging a sit-in at the Department of the Interior, a move that resulted in “multiple injuries” and an official was taken to hospital.

Demanding that President Biden declare climate change an emergency, People vs. Fossil Fuels, the group responsible for the protests, organised A week-long series of demonstrations against the president comes as he approves of various fossil fuel projects.


Biden distances itself from administration over Southern California supply chain crisis, oil spill disaster

Following the protests, Interior Department spokeswoman Melissa Schwartz issued a statement via a series of tweets.

- Advertisement -

“Early this afternoon, a group of protesters entered the Stewart Lee Udl main interior building,” Schwartz said. “Federal Security Service personnel responded in the area to defuse the situation. Security personnel suffered multiple injuries, and an officer was taken to a nearby hospital. Physicians representing both the department and the protesters were present.”

Schwartz also said that Interior Sec. Deb Haaland was not in Washington during the protests and stressed that the leadership in the department “believes strongly in respecting and upholding the right to free speech and peaceful protest.”

according to video footage from Washington PostOf Ellie Silverman, activists could be seen climbing over doors and pushing officers back as they tried to make their way into the Interior Department.

Andy Ngo, a conservative journalist who frequently covers Antifa-related events, shared a video of Silverman. He described the scene at the Federal Building as “reminiscent of January 6”, noting that officers were forced to pull their tasers to try to make their way inside “extreme environmentalist protesters”.

event organizer blame that “the police beat up many people and hit them with sticks” and that “55 people were arrested and taken to DC Metro police stations.”

“Police acted aggressively with water guards and indigenous leaders, stabbing at least two people and hitting others with batons,” the group claimed. “An independent indigenous media worker was attacked by police and his equipment was broken.”

Granthshala News contacted the Federal Protective Service (FPS) and received the following statement:

“Yesterday, officials from the Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Protective Service (FPS) responded to a demonstration at the Stewart L. Udle Building. The FPS is committed to the protection of protesters participating in legitimate protests and the peaceful expression of all people.” FPS will continue to advance our mission of ensuring the safety and security of federal employees and facilities in compliance with the law.”

In the statement, FPS also expressed its appreciation for the U.S. Park Police and the Washington Metropolitan Police Department, who have “tomorrow’s efforts to detain, prosecute, or take action against anyone attempting to harm and disrupt the business of the federal government.” assisted in the efforts.”