The RNLI has taken down its website as a precaution after the charity experienced “suspicious activity”.
The website has been changed to a landing page that reads: “Our website is currently unavailable.”
An RNLI spokesperson told the PA news agency: “The RNLI website has been the subject of suspicious activity today, Friday December 3, 2021.
“As a precaution, the RNLI has decided to shut down its website while investigating the activity. We apologize for any inconvenience and we are working to resolve the situation as soon as possible.”
The RNLI also said that it had reported the “threatening emails” it had received to the police.
“RNLI has taken this opportunity to remind its employees and volunteers to be vigilant to keep themselves, their partners and the RNLI system safe.
“We are focused on our core objective of saving lives at sea and our 24/7 lifesaving service is fully operational.”
The news comes as right-wing organization Britain First encouraged its members to complain to charity to save people crossing the English Channel, although the PA is aware that the RNLI’s decision to remove the website is linked to an email campaign. Not there.
The group said online: “Britain First has launched a grievance campaign aimed at the RNLI to pressure them to drop their support for illegal immigration and people trafficking and to focus on saving British lives in our coastal areas can go.”
A link shared on its Telegram channel allows users to send one of three pre-written messages to RNLI CEO Mark Dovey.
The group claims to have sent over 3,000 emails so far.