A senior military officer in the Canadian Armed Forces has been placed on leave for months after launching a sexual misconduct investigation, Granthshala News has confirmed.
A statement from CAF on Friday confirmed an earlier report. Published by Globe and Mail That the chief of army personnel, lieutenant general. Steven Whelan had stepped down from his role.
The CAF said Whelan’s leave is effective immediately.
The statement said the Acting Chief of Defense Staff, General Wayne Eyre, was first informed in June that military police had launched an investigation into Whelan, which was initially called for due to concerns about the potential impact on the investigation. was not made aware of.
“Since the start of the investigation, the situation has been subject to an ongoing and deliberate evaluation by the VCDS with regard to the impact suffered by him, his continued employment and the impact on the workplace,” read the statement.
The Canadian Forces National Investigation Service said in a statement Friday that it had received allegations of sexual misconduct against Whelan and it is still ongoing.
“Military police, from practice, do not consistently disclose the existence of an ongoing investigation,” the statement said.
Whelan is the latest of several senior military officials to face investigations or allegations of sexual misconduct allegations in recent months.
The Canadian Forces are facing what experts have described as an institutional “crisis” since Granthshala News first reported high-profile allegations against senior leadership earlier this year.
News of the Whelan investigation comes as Admiral Art McDonald, who is on leave from his role as Chief of Defense Staff, is facing heavy criticism for his decision to send a letter to senior military aides in which McDonald’s claimed to have been acquitted of sexual assault charges against him, which he denies.
McDonald’s is demanding that he be reinstated to the top position, which is currently being filled in the acting capacity of General Wayne Eyre.
Ayre responded to a letter sent by McDonald’s on Friday, calling it “shocking”.
– With files from Granthshala News’ Sean Boynton.