Stephen Port victim inquests are ‘key step’ in families’ quest for answers

- Advertisement -

His lawyer has said the investigation into the deaths of four gay men who were drunk by serial killer and rapist Stephen Port is an important step in the families’ “seeking accountability”.

- Advertisement -

A coroner will on Monday begin an investigation into the deaths of 25-year-old Jack Taylor, 23-year-old Anthony Walgate, 22-year-old Gabriel Cowry and 21-year-old Daniel Whitworth.

He was assassinated by Port, 46, between June 2014 and September 2015. He met her through a dating app like Grindr, took her to his flat in Barking, east London, and before poisoning her with a lethal dose of GBH, a date rape drug.


In 2016, Port was found guilty of all four murders and sentenced to life in prison, described by a judge as “evil and monstrous”.

He was also convicted of several sex offenses and is likely to die in prison.

- Advertisement -

Since Port’s conviction, the families of the victims have continued to campaign for answers as to why Port was not stopped sooner.

The Met Police were accused of multiple failures in the case, which they denied.

On Monday, Neil Hudgel, his attorney for Hudgell Solicitors, said: “It’s been seven years and three months since the assassination of Anthony Walgate; seven years and one month since the murder of Gabriel Cowry; since the murder of Daniel Whitworth. Just over seven years; and exactly six years after Jack Taylor was murdered.

“Their families have felt every single day of his absence. “He waited patiently and conducted himself with genuine dignity.”

He continued: “Nevertheless, he has always wondered about what would have been a different outcome if the police had investigated Port properly and taken his concerns seriously, and if his boys had not been gay.

“For them, the inquiry is an important step in their search for accountability.”

On Friday, Sarah Munro, the assistant coroner for the East London area, told jurors to focus on the evidence in court as she was sworn in to hear the interrogation.

He told them: “On Tuesday … we will begin an investigation into the deaths of four youths murdered by a man named Stephen Port in 2014 and 2015.

“She was murdered by them with an overdose of a date rape drug called GHB and their bodies were dumped by them in the yard we are sitting by now.”

The investigation, which was postponed due to the pandemic, is expected to last 10 weeks.


Credit: /

- Advertisement -
Mail Us For  DMCA / Credit  Notice

Recent Articles

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox

Related Stories