Strictly Come Dancing Judge Motsi Mabuse’s full name is Motshegetsi Mabuse.
Her sister – 31-year-old Otti, a professional dancer and show winner – also has a longer name and is called Otliele.
The name Motshegetsi means “pro” in the Bantu language of the Tswana people, which is spoken in South Africa.
Motsi, 40, grew up in a South African settlement under apartheid, which forced her and her sisters to take a community minibus to their convent school because they were banned from white public transport.
She has previously stated that during her formative years she was treated as if she deserved “nothing” in her country, tolerating segregation and racism.
But then she was introduced to dance, which helped her through the painful times of growing up under apartheid.
She said: “I am very grateful to the world of dance because if I had grown up with the bitterness of my difficult childhood in South Africa, and had never experienced the love of the world of dance, I would probably be a very sad person. Would have been
“The dance world is where I felt accepted as a human being.”
However, she said that her life changed when she moved from South Africa to Germany to pursue her career at the age of 18.
She said: “You have to really get there, for the fact that people really think you’re great.
“To be able to hear people say, ‘We love you’, and swallow it and say, ‘Oh wow, thank you’, when as a child you were taught – through your bitter bones From – that you were nothing. It’s something you have to get over.”
Motsi and Oti return to Strictly for the nineteenth series of the show.
This Saturday will see the first live show where 15 candidates will try to impress the judges.
The Complete List of Songs and Dances in Strictly’s First Live Show on Saturday
- AJ Odudu and Kai Widdington – Jive, “Gold Dust” (DJ Fresh)
- Judy Love and Graziano Di Prima – American Smooth, “Chain of Fools” (Aretha Franklin)
- Katie McGlynn and Gorka Marquez – Tango, ‘Black Hole’ (Griff)
- Nina Wadia and Neil Jones – Samba, “Me Gente” (Jay Balvin, Willie William ft Beyoncé)
- Rose Ayling-Ellis and Giovanni Pernis – Jive, “Shake It Off” (Taylor Swift)
- Sarah Davis and Aljaz Skorzeneck – Cha Cha, “The Boss” (Diana Ross)
- Tilly Ramsay and Nikita Kuzmin – Waltz, “Results” (Camila Cabello)
- Adam Peaty and Katya Jones – Cha cha, ‘begin’ (moonlight)
- Dan Walker and Nadia Bychkova – QuickStep, ‘Everybody Needs Somebody to Love’ (The Blues Brothers)
- Greg Wise and Karen Hauer – American Smooth, “That’s Life” (Frank Sinatra)
- John White and Johannes Radebe – Tango, ‘Blue Monday’ (New Order)
- Rhys Stephenson and Nancy Xu – Viennese Waltz, “End of the Road” (Boyz II Men)
- Robert Webb and Diane Buswell – Cha Cha, ‘Rasputin’ (Boney M)
- Tom Fletcher and Amy Dowden – Cha Cha, ‘September’ (Earth, Wind and Fire)
- Ugo Moni and Oti Mabuse – Samba, “Echo Echo (My Bestie)” (Justin Wellington ft Small Jam)
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for the showbiz team?
Email [email protected] or call us directly on 02077824220.
We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.