Teenager, 13, accidentally sparks tower block fire after using deodorant

- Advertisement -


A schoolboy accidentally started a large fire in a Tower block in London when his deodorant blew into a candle.

- Advertisement -

Residents of flats in Battersea were evacuated and a woman and child taken to hospital after 70 firefighters were called in to douse the blaze yesterday.

4
A teenage boy accidentally set his London home on fire last nightcredits: PA
Etrin Behzadi's mother said the boy was using deodorant when jets of pressurized chemicals 'hit the tealight candle'

4
Etrin Behzadi’s mother said the boy was using deodorant when jets of pressurized chemicals ‘hit the tealight candle’credits: PA

It has now emerged that the fire started when a 13-year-old boy inadvertently caused an “explosion” that destroyed his family’s home when he applied body spray.

advertisement

Etrin Behzadi’s mother said that he was “spraying himself” when Jett “hit the tealight candle”.

The resulting explosion shattered windows and blew the living room door off its hinges.

- Advertisement -

Terrifyingly, Atrin received severe burns, causing injuries to his abdomen and arms.

Meanwhile, dozens of families were moved out of the block at Westbridge Road after the alert was issued at 8 pm.

It is claimed that there was no alarm sound – and residents say they could not find fire extinguishers.

A dramatic video was posted on social media showing flames coming out of windows.

Sarah, the mother of Etrin, 43, who works as a dental technician, said: “I went to a quick shop when my daughter Atris called me and said, ‘Mom, something exploded’.

“My son was spraying deodorant in his room and it hit a tea light candle.

“Suddenly both windows exploded and the door hinges blew – it broke in half.”

Sarah spoke about her pride in Attis, who called 999, and added: “She has saved many lives.”

Attis, 15, said: “I was in my room and suddenly the door slammed.

Teenager’s life saved

“I saw a bright light and heard my brother scream.

“I was paralyzed for a few seconds, but then he broke into my room. He said his body was burning and we needed to get out.”

Haji Safia Mayo, 53, a housewife living on the 19th floor, said she had put on a jacket over her pajamas and went downstairs when her son told her the fire had started.

“There was smoke everywhere. It was hard to breathe,” she said.

“I have asthma and I was running down stairs — all 20 flights. I was shocked and scared, and my legs were hurting.

“I just wanted to save my life.”

‘No fire alarm’

She said she heard no alarm – and went out into the street to find “hot ashes and pieces of glass falling from the sky”.

Her 30-year-old son, Omar al-Darus Abdi, bravely left behind to help an 86-year-old neighbor in a wheelchair.

They detonated: “No extinguishers, no alarms, no fires or signals anywhere.”

Fire station commander Pete Johnson said: “On arrival there was a lot of smoke coming from the top of a block of flats.

“There was also a lot of visible flame which has led to a large number of calls to our control officers.

“Firefighters acted swiftly to douse the fire.”

Youth's house destroyed during shocking incident

4
Youth’s house destroyed during shocking incidentcredit: Susannah Ireland
Haji Safia Mayo said she ran downstairs in her pajamas during the fire

4
Haji Safia Mayo said she ran downstairs in her pajamas during the firecredit: Susannah Ireland

We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for the News Desk?

Email us at [email protected] or call us on 02077824104. You can whatsapp us on 07423 720 250. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload your

Click here to get the newsletter for the next six weeks for free.

- Advertisement -
Mail Us For  DMCA / Credit  Notice

Recent Articles

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox

Related Stories